Cleanning up Twin Reverb model

Thanks for the patch, I'm really liking it.

Glad you are digging it!

Trying to finish up the dumble single coil patch (taking me a lot longer than I expected) then I will go and work on re-tweaking the humbucker versions of the patches.

I have 3 gigs coming up 9/13, 9/14 and 9/20 -- so I need to get these puppies ready!

Those WGS speakers sounded nice, hopefully there can be some IRs from them... Fractal, OH?

Reactions: LVC
The Twin originally used two JBL D-120'ties. AB-768 curcuit and a bright, tornado sound that every steel-guitarist just loved.
Would like a IR.

Barefoot Jerry - YouTube

WOWOWOW....that smoked!!! :encouragement: same league as redneck jazz explosion....now I need that album! Damn.....

much thanks for the link!!!

cheers
Paco

EDIT: Just bought their album "Watchin' TV" on iTunes :D

Last edited:
the silverface BM "Reverb" is one of the exceptions to the rule IMO.

But a general rule -- 70's fenders suck (IMO of course).

Further, I think that all master volume fenders should be collected and destroyed because they suck 2x as much (IMO of course :lol)

Can we also round up all red knob "evil twin" amps and destroy those as well? Those made the silvers sound like tone heaven

A few firmwares ago, the gain on many of the Fender cleans went up & I had to back down the gain and input trim to have an always clean Twin patch. After installing 11.01 (from 10.11) & reinitializing the amp block, my Twin patch was clipping on the output with a hot humbucker guitar. It wasn't pushing the amp into overdrive sounds, but the clipping light was coming on. I even recreated the patch, but still had the output clipping. If I lowered the Level setting enough to get rid of the clipping, the patch was noticeably lower in volume than my other patches.

Because of the previous firmwares, I was lowering the Gain to 1.50 and raising the Level to 0.00dB (and lowering the Input Trim down a bit, too, IIRC), so I raised the Gain up to 3.00 and lowered the Level to -6.00dB. Input Trim was reset to 1.00 by the reinitialize. The patch now stays clean with my hottest humbucker without clipping. The only tweaking I had to do was with BMTP and I added a touch of EQ at 250Hz & 500Hz to fatten it up a bit.

In the past, I've added Dynamics & Dynamic Presence & lowered Transformer Match, etc. with most of my clean patches. Now, I just reinitialize the amps and adjust BMTP & maybe EQ. I'm finding 11.01 to be much easier & faster to dial up great sounding patches without a lot of fiddling other than basic amp settings.

I don't use any of the advanced stuff anymore. I've even been contemplating removing Dynamics and Pick Attack because they're just not needed IMO.

Back to the OT:
All of the models are modeled using the high-gain input (if the amp has one). This is the top input or left input typically and is labeled "1" on a Fender. To replicate the low-gain input simply set Input Trim to 0.5.

>I've even been contemplating removing Dynamics and Pick Attack because they're just not needed IMO.<

As a guy who has been boosting (and enjoying) Dynamics, Pick Attack, and Dynamic Presence quite a bit– especially on Fender cleans– this got to sit and take notice. I'm still on 10.02... haven't had the gig/session window necessary to update, and tweak things back to where i need them.

I'm personally on 2 minds on this. I'm delighted to think that 11 will make those previous boosts less necessary. But OTOH, the flexibility of those parameters for enhancing those qualities– occasionally beyond the realm of accuracy– is pretty nice!

I don't use any of the advanced stuff anymore. I've even been contemplating removing Dynamics and Pick Attack because they're just not needed IMO.

Back to the OT:
All of the models are modeled using the high-gain input (if the amp has one). This is the top input or left input typically and is labeled "1" on a Fender. To replicate the low-gain input simply set Input Trim to 0.5.

Aww Cliff, another "Remove Post"
It doesn't hurt to leave this stuff even if it's not needed... I approach the Advanced Page as a creative tool more than a fix to have a spot-on tones.
I agree that you don't need to go to the advanced page as much as before, you can nail the "real" amp tones just with the amp block and good IRs, but leave these cool stuff in the advanced page so people can tweak the models and create his "own signature model".

BTW, Thanks for the tip on the OT

Not an answer to the original question but I owned a Silverface Twin in the 70's , I hated it ! I was a teenager and I wanted to Rock, the amp would not breakup without blowing the speaker. They even had this box you could buy to plug into the FX loop to fix this horrible beast - didnt work for me. LOL Now I'm al old fart and I love me some Fender cleans and I especially love the grittier tones that I never got when I was 14 .

I think its wise to only used advanced stuff as a last resort as these are the likely candidates getting revised in the firmware updates and could cause time consuming re-tweaking on the users end when major updates do occur. And if they are user modified from default, care should be taken by the user to document the deviation from default (ie default was X I made it Y).
It has been said that if you don't like the sound of the amp with the defaults (in advanced parameters I suppose) then you wouldn't like the real amp 8)
Life is too short to delve into too many of those parameters.
Its my own fault but since I have had the AxeFx II shortly after its release, I play more but haven't been too productive since I plug in try this amp...play chord chord noodle noodle chord, hmmmm now what if I used this other guitar (repeat). The fact that my short term memory has blown a gasket years ago does NOT help ;)
This device rules!
Greg

Not an answer to the original question but I owned a Silverface Twin in the 70's , I hated it ! I was a teenager and I wanted to Rock, the amp would not breakup without blowing the speaker. They even had this box you could buy to plug into the FX loop to fix this horrible beast - didnt work for me. LOL Now I'm al old fart and I love me some Fender cleans and I especially love the grittier tones that I never got when I was 14 .

SF Twins, Red Knob Twins, Master volume Twins all sucked in the 70's, 80's, 90's and they still do!

Fender forgot how to build great amps after the 60's.

I played a DR RI a few weeks ago and I though it just sounded terrible. Zero life.

If I ever decide to get another DR I will probably look for a used RI and send it to George Alessandro so he can gut it (remove the pcb) and rebuild it with "hand wired" goodness. Not expensive either -- if you pickup a used one for lets say around five bucks and the rebuild is $600 you will end up with a hand wired DR for around the price of a new DR re-issue that sounds and feels fabulous!.

Back
Top Bottom