Clean Tapping - Best Set Up?

VanDeath

Hi All - Does anyone have any recommendations for getting the best possible sound for clean tapping? Its a technique I really want to get better at, but knowing you have a decent set up in the first place is pretty important.

Here is an example of the sort of tone I mean - Yvette Young:

I know that low action is important, and compression, and gain to some extent. Also Noise Gates. Does anyone have any tips on set up on an AxeII? It would be highly appreciated!

Thanks
Ben

Javier Reyes (Animals As Leaders) just released several presets that he's using atm. Two of them are clean (ish) and considering how much tapping is used in AAL, they may be a good starting point for you.

Here's the page:

http://www.fractalaudio.com/javier-reyes-mestis-preset-pack.php

Also worth mentioning that his patches are setup for hotter pickups, so if you're getting no sound, check the noise gate as that seemed to be the issue with some people using lower output pickups.

Hope that helps.

You've already said it but I think the major points of the sound are a properly set up guitar with some compression up front to smooth the volume differences across strings and hands. As far as compressor settings the attack should be relatively fast but slow enough to let the transient attack through so you get the poppy attack, release should also be fairly quick so as not to linger into other notes and squash em (all imo anyway).

Hi All - Does anyone have any recommendations for getting the best possible sound for clean tapping? Its a technique I really want to get better at, but knowing you have a decent set up in the first place is pretty important.

I know that low action is important, and compression, and gain to some extent. Also Noise Gates. Does anyone have any tips on set up on an AxeII? It would be highly appreciated!

Thanks
Ben

What’s that thing in the background ???

You've already said it but I think the major points of the sound are a properly set up guitar with some compression up front to smooth the volume differences across strings and hands. As far as compressor settings the attack should be relatively fast but slow enough to let the transient attack through so you get the poppy attack, release should also be fairly quick so as not to linger into other notes and squash em (all imo anyway).

thanks for the help, much appreciated!

No idea what the solodallas trick is, or what you mean in the video?!
The solo dallas trick is sticking two compressor blocks up front in series, both set to dynamics. The first block stays standard except for the dynamics knob which goes to -1, the second goes to +1. I like to mess with the emphasis and level on the second block too, almost like a clean drive.

No idea what the solodallas trick is, or what you mean in the video?!

There's some threads about that here in the forum. It's making the attack much more audible, without adding that typical compressor sound and feel. You can also put an eq block between the two compressors, the eq's influence is a bit higher when you play softly and get's less when you crank up on the guitar. Just play around with it, take some time, and you'll see.

The solo dallas trick is sticking two compressor blocks up front in series, both set to dynamics. The first block stays standard except for the dynamics knob which goes to -1, the second goes to +1. I like to mess with the emphasis and level on the second block too, almost like a clean drive.

thanks a lot for the tip off and the other help. Not sure what you guys are getting at with the green screen......so its an axefx right? Doesnt explain what set up id need on it to get the sound? Im probably misunderstanding haha

thanks a lot for the tip off and the other help. Not sure what you guys are getting at with the green screen......so its an axefx right? Doesnt explain what set up id need on it to get the sound? Im probably misunderstanding haha
I think the point was she's using the axe so everything you need to get that exact tone is in your hands(?) :)

There's some threads about that here in the forum. It's making the attack much more audible, without adding that typical compressor sound and feel. You can also put an eq block between the two compressors, the eq's influence is a bit higher when you play softly and get's less when you crank up on the guitar. Just play around with it, take some time, and you'll see.
thanks. I have had a look but cant find them. Do you have a link at all? Much appreciated. Or are there any patches with it?

At 3:23 you'll also notice a healthy dose of reverb trailing off. You might could also think about some pitch blocks doing the +/- detune thing with a touch of staggered short delays (50-75ms) to thicken things without resorting to an an overly obtrusive chorus.

thanks. I have had a look but cant find them. Do you have a link at all? Much appreciated. Or are there any patches with it?

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/posts/1284495/

The idea here is to add a bit of compression without adding that special compressor sound and feel. It should sound and feel like like there is no compression, but when you compare presets you see the sustain got a lot better with it. Try both ways, compression first, expansion second and the other way round, they are a bit different.

sound like guthrie govan :cool:

Thanks
Ben

Back
Top Bottom