Clean patches too quiet.

yesfan

Inspired
I did a search and someone asked the same question and just got one answer. I had already thought of that but it seemed like a lot of work. I have found a ton of good distortion patches but all of them are loud compared to the clean ones I like. The answer the other guy got was the only thing I could come up with also and that was turn down all the distortion patches. It seems like a lot of work cause there are so many but everything I have tried to turn up the cleans leads to clipping. Is that really the only way. Thanks.

Increase gain in global. Input trim in amp block should work too.

That will change the the gain structure before the amps which may cause the cleans patches to breakup. The global gain will also affect the distorted patches.

If there are only a few clean and lots of distorted, just decreasing the global level will allow the clean patches to be increased to the level of the distorted ones without clipping. Or as has been suggested jut turn down the distorted patches.

Overall this is a gain matching issue. You will never get the cleans as loud as you can get the distortions due to dynamic range of the cleans and low crest factor of the distortions.

Bring the level of the distortion patches down to fit where they should be along side the cleans.

Keith

That will change the the gain structure before the amps which may cause the cleans patches to breakup. The global gain will also affect the distorted patches.

If there are only a few clean and lots of distorted, just decreasing the global level will allow the clean patches to be increased to the level of the distorted ones without clipping. Or as has been suggested jut turn down the distorted patches.

Thanks that was the answer I didnt think of that I knew you would know. Appreciate it!!

The key word is "may". I do it all the time with different guitars. It does increase my cleans with no break up. Don't go too far is the key. The distortions are barely affected and if so just turn down the drive a tad but I never have to so that. try it and if you don't like it un try it. :)

Overall this is a gain matching issue. You will never get the cleans as loud as you can get the distortions due to dynamic range of the cleans and low crest factor of the distortions.

Bring the level of the distortion patches down to fit where they should be along side the cleans.

Keith

This too. However when you go from a high output pickup to a low , like a Tele, the volumes will change. The distortion won't be as distorded and the cleans will lower in volume. It is here my first suggestion comes in to play. I have been doing this for three years when I change guitars.

Last edited:
I had this too... Too much Clipping.
Mine was because I made my Main Crunch Rhythm as my 1st Patch, then Matched Volumes from there.
So all my Lead Patches were clipping.
I had to go through all my Patches and Lower by 4db to start.
I have yet to have another Band Practice to re-set all my Levels.

I find varied levels from different user patches.
Sometimes ya have to put the Work in... Luckily if you use the X Quick Jump Button you can get there quick.
I hit the "X" to get to the Amp Page. Press the "Page Right". Then The Level is right there and You can use the "D" Knob to adjust it.
Save with "Store" followed by "Enter"

This too. However when you go from a high output pickup to a low , like a Tele, the volumes will change. The distortion won't be as distorded and the cleans will lower in volume. It is here my first suggestion comes in to play. I have been doing this for three years when I change guitars.

I didn't mean to imply to disagree with this but wouldn't it be quicker to have a separate preset for a lower gain guitar and use the "input trim' on the amp page to compensate if needed? All recalled with preset on foot controller...

Keith

I had this too... Too much Clipping.
Mine was because I made my Main Crunch Rhythm as my 1st Patch, then Matched Volumes from there.
So all my Lead Patches were clipping.
I had to go through all my Patches and Lower by 4db to start.

I would suggest a starting point of -10dB below clipping for your loudest clean patch and use that as a baseline for all other patches if you're using the AXE live. If all your patches are clipping, -4dB isn't going to be enough IMHO. I think you're going to end up doing this all over again.

I would suggest a starting point of -10dB below clipping for your loudest clean patch and use that as a baseline for all other patches if you're using the AXE live. If all your patches are clipping, -4dB isn't going to be enough IMHO. I think you're going to end up doing this all over again.

+1

-4db is not enough headroom. -6db at the minimum.

Richard

I didn't mean to imply to disagree with this but wouldn't it be quicker to have a separate preset for a lower gain guitar and use the "input trim' on the amp page to compensate if needed? All recalled with preset on foot controller...

Keith

Another solution for sure but quicker? I dunno. It takes me five seconds before a gig to adjust for guitar of the day.

Back
Top Bottom