Clean install or Migrate: old mac > new Mac?

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
I'm about to buy a new mac mini to replace my ol faithful late 2009 iMac. The Question in the title is which approach should I take?! either way is going to require some work. The obvious downside to migrating all data is that i have roughly 10 yrs of useless old files that have accumulated in folders i'm probably not even aware of. A fresh install; however, is a clean install. no clutter. This will require a lot of manual transferring of folders and apps.

any tips are welcome...

You can pick what you migrate when you use the migration asssitant. So if you just want a few folders from your home directory that's fine.

There's generally nothing wrong with a complete migration though. I've pulled along stuff for a decade or more now.

Clean installation is always the best way to go if your reusing a older mac/pc especially if you suspect your OS has issues you don't want to migrate problems with apps or os. Time Machine backup to external drive has always worked for me I just have it capture everything including system files in case an app needs files for settings and or cache data. I always use a sata to USB connector and purchase a internal HDD use it once to back up the data and one more time to restore then save it for archive.

I clean install everything about once a year. Reduces program files from apps you don’t use anymore. Most of my “document” type files are in Dropbox so those can sync. Though I do pull all major folders (docs, music, movies, downloads, etc) to an external drive for quicker transfer back. I screenshot my applications folder to make sure I don’t forget anything. it always runs faster and I leave behind programs I haven’t used in ages. Depends how intricate your system is, but with most apps in the cloud now or downloadable, it’s simple for me.

great tips everyone. Leaning towards clean install. My main folders backed up on external HDD. Ive already made a list of my applications and will just do brandnew installs of those. My passwords/keychain/internet saved info on icloud. My DAW is on a usb elicense dongle so just need to download from Steinberg to new machine. I understand Axe Edit (axe II) works on Catalina so i should be golden

As long as you haven't a need to bring along older Thunderbolt devices, Catalina should treat you well enough. I just went through cleaning up my 2011 vintage iMac and it is MUCH happier after a clean reinstall. And as the HD nears full, these older Macs disagree with operating responsively, so I'd recommend getting rid of as much old data as possible. My iMac's 1 Tb drive was at less than 200 Gb free since we were using it as a family ad hoc file server. I've now got it at 850Gb free along with a clean Catalina install and the behavior is nearly night and day. SSD storage would be better as well for snappiness, but this is certainly livable. Clean install, all the way.

Another vote for a clean install. I also do this every year or two, even with the same computer. It’s kind of like moving — it takes time and effort, but it’s a great opportunity to clear out the crap you don’t use, and when you’re done you know exactly where everything is.

Clean install.

I just got a refurbished iMac a month ago and initially I was just going to copy everything from my MacBook over to it but decided at the last minute I was only going to import several current projects and call it a day. Everything else is backed up in two different locations if I ever need it.

I keep most of my data segregated, so it's easy for me to just bring that over. Otherwise, I look at a clean install as a chance to get rid of a lot of old outdated stuff. I had tons of little applications on my last one for all sort of things over the 8 years I had had it, and a lot of it wasn't being used. My current MBP is pretty stripped down to just what I currently need.

Clean install. Always.
Leave the old machine online alongside it. I've got mine running FoldingAtHome.
Hey, I see I just overtook @iaresee! Gunning for you @electronpirate!
exactly what i'm gonna do. I'm going to use my iMac as one of my two display monitors for the mini. Apparently the 2009 late 27" started with this abiliity. So it will be side by side as is and can move data over little by little.

I'm quite excited to experience a jump in speed from my fossil core 2 duo with 8GB ram to spec'd out mini. I plan to purchase the ram modules and DIY; save hundreds

Today is the day. UPS to deliver my mac mini. I have the memory modules ready and tools for the memory upgrade (32GB) I have a feeling I'm gonna be like Palpatine 'unlimited powwwwwaah.' followed by some cackling.

great tips everyone. Leaning towards clean install. My main folders backed up on external HDD. Ive already made a list of my applications and will just do brandnew installs of those. My passwords/keychain/internet saved info on icloud. My DAW is on a usb elicense dongle so just need to download from Steinberg to new machine. I understand Axe Edit (axe II) works on Catalina so i should be golden
For the heck of it I tried full migration of a 2009 Mac Pro tower to a 2019 16-inch MacBook Pro. It was good for a laugh. The laptop fired up after install with a blank, black screen. A forced restart didn't change anything. Clean install solved it.

Clean install is always better, especially when moving from a Dinosaur to a Spaceship.

For the heck of it I tried full migration of a 2009 Mac Pro tower to a 2019 16-inch MacBook Pro. It was good for a laugh. The laptop fired up after install with a blank, black screen. A forced restart didn't change anything. Clean install solved it.

Clean install is always better, especially when moving from a Dinosaur to a Spaceship.
It's likely the MacBook doesn't support the older OS the Mac Pro was on. I have a 2010 iMac & High Sierra is the end of the line for it.

Upgraded my memory without any issues. After all my preparation I can't believe i missed that my DAW (Cubase Artist 8) not compatible with Catalina. Ffffffffffffff. Looks like a forced upgrade for me. Anyone know when Cubase tends to have sales? i'm not in a massive rush and don't want to drop $300 right now to get to Artist 10.5

the good news is after an online chat with Steinberg asking for a 'pity discount' they gave me a license for Elements 10.5 for free. This will hold me over for recording til I decide to upgrade/crossgrade. Pretty decent gesture i thought

Back
Top Bottom