"Clean" Delays with "Dirty" Amp?

atquinn

Power User
So I have an amp that is a little hairy and I want to have delays that are completely clean. The only way I can think of to do this is to split the pre-amp signal into a different amp block that is clean and then delay that signal. in addition to having he regular amp signal. I have plenty of CPU headroom in the preset to do this so that's not an issue, but I wonder if there was a different way to accomplish this?

Austin

If your signal is going through a dirty amp, then the signal past that point will be dirty.. no way around that. If you also want to mix in a clean signal then you need to split it off before the amp and mix it in. You probably want to have some kind of amp block in the fork as well. You could either run that to its own cab, or merge the two paths into the same cab to gel them together..

Clean amp tone into a 100% wet delay block that's parallel to your dirty tone should do it
Edit: I don't think there's any way around it this way

A delay block that appears after a distorted tone can’t “clean up” the tone just for the delays. You’ll have to make a split somehow so a clean signal gets to the Delay block. This would the the same thing as asking to get a non-wah signal to a Delay when the Delay is after the wah block.

I'd use the tube pre model in the amp block into a 100% wet delay in parallel with your distorted chain. And yes, the signal needs to be split before the overdriven amp block.

place the delay in a column before the amp block in parallel with the path that goes into the amp block

Why not just run the delay in front of the amp at a lower mix level?

place the delay in a column before the amp block in parallel with the path that goes into the amp block

after thought...
with the config I mentioned above you'd be running the delay output past the amp in parallel
the afterthought is that you'd want to bring the delayed signal back in with the main signal path after the cab and before the reverb..
this is so that the reverb get's applied to both the amped signal and the clean delayed signal..
running the amped signal through a reverb and taking the delayed signal right through to the output [bypassing the reverb] may sound a little odd..

I do this kind of thing on a recording ...but I use two amps...the clean amp has the nice lofty delays and I mix it with the dirty amp..You kind of hear the teeth of gain...then the crystal repeats. It's kind of tricky ...but It worked for me

Never heard that before!
Post a sound clip when you do that!
I've not personally done this clean delay thing before...
it's simply a suggestion

making sure the delay tails have reverb on though is mandatory for me..
without reverb, the delay tails will sound like they're not in the same 'space' as the main guitar tone

Split the signal to a parallel path with an amp and delay block. I actually prefer cleans without a cab block, so you may not even need one.

Back
Top Bottom