Clean amps

slimefuzz

Inspired
Joining the fractal user family in "a few days", hooray!
I'm not familiar with sound of real amps.
What would be some good models to start with that have a nice full range clean sound that
would work for guitar and guitar synth with octave down
Also interesting in the edge of breakup "category"

Thanks
Mike

I'd propose you'll get the best answers by posting some audio examples of what you'd like to hear.

There's a broad range of "clean" amp sounds depending on who's providing the answer ;)

That being said, most of the Fender models are a good starting point. The 59 Bassman Bright, Band Commander and Deluxe Reverb are all very nice.

Also, Shiver Clean, ODS Clean and CA3+ Clean are very good.

Double Verb, Vibro Verb, and Super Verb are takes on F-style 6L6 tube amps. Awesome clean tones, just begin with stock settings and adjust gain to taste.

A good example of a clean preset is 095, EJ Clean.

+1 on ODS-100 Clean.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with sound of real amps.
We'll get back to that.

What would be some good models to start with that have a nice full range clean sound that
would work for guitar and guitar synth with octave down
Search YouTube for videos by Leon Todd, Cooper Carter, and Marco Fanton. They cover these topics well.

In addition, search the Wiki's Factory presets page for "clean", as there are a number of presets that are good candidates. In addition, many amplifiers that people associate with metal, heavy rock or progressive rock or jazz, make wonderful clean amps by dialing down the input.

Also interesting in the edge of breakup "category"
There isn't really an amp category I'm aware of that is "EOB", it's just how we (mis)treat a particular amp. "Edge of breakup" is something that happens when we push a clean amp hard, or a "rock" amp to the very edge of distortion so that a little bit harder strum or picking will cause distortion just as backing off will cause it to clean up again. SO many of the factory presets do that, and there are many ways to get there.

Back to not being familiar with the sound of real amps… It's important to have an understanding how real amps work when working with a modeler, because a modeler is almost always a digital version of a real amp. FAS modelers have an incredible amount of depth that scares people who don't know what makes amps, speakers, and effects, tick, so give yourself time to learn, fiddle with stuff and ask questions.

"Amp and Cab modeling for beginners" is a starting point, as is reading the manual cover to cover several times. The Blocks Guide is also useful. There are other manuals associated with the FAS modelers that are essential information but they can wait.

Cooper Carter has a great, highly recommended, video series that teaches how to use the modeler from the basics to advanced.

my studies have begun.
Awesome! Don't forget to have fun.

Also....especially if you're going for a clean sound, don't obsess too much over the amp. IMHO, you should be spending your time on other things rather than getting obsessed with just the amp.

For edge of breakup, the amp matters a lot more, and it is worth at least comparing a few different styles. Keep that journey fun rather than obsessive, if you can.

One thing for the edge of breakup stuff: you can use a Drive block with a "boost" type, you can use the Boost in the Amp block Input section, you can use a Compressor...

Pushing the front of the amp is the key, in my opinion.

One thing for the edge of breakup stuff: you can use a Drive block with a "boost" type, you can use the Boost in the Amp block Input section, you can use a Compressor...

Pushing the front of the amp is the key, in my opinion.

That boost is one of the best things about the amp block. Or if you’re on the FM3 I think of it as an Econo boost, because it works without any more CPU and gives amps a wonderful push.

That boost is one of the best things about the amp block. Or if you’re on the FM3 I think of it as an Econo boost, because it works without any more CPU and gives amps a wonderful push.
I also forgot to mention Filter block (Null or other types) and the EQ as well.

But, yeah, the Amp block boost is a nice "bonus" feature.

Maybe to those who have not truly listened. A Deluxe sounds different than a Twin, which sounds different than an AC-30, which sounds different than a Roland Jazz Chorus. Play them clean or push them, they sound different.
That depends mostly on whether you change the impedance curve (speaker tab) or the IR and how you have their EQs set.

That thread was about how they easily can sound the same when set clean and dialed in by the same person. Which is why I said not to obsess over it.

This is a great thread for me. Hopefully I'll get my FM9 in Nov ( one year wait)
In addition to electric guitar, I play pedal steel and 8 string lap steel.
I'm gonna enjoy finding new "clean" amp platforms to use.

Back
Top Bottom