Clean amp and dirty amp together for added clarity

Fat Dad

Inspired
I've been a big fan of Dean DeLeo's live guitar sound all my life. From my research, he's basically using W/D/W with a Marshally gain (Demeter preamp) on the outside and an AC30 clean in the middle. The addition of the AC30 run clean in this setup adds some clarity to the dirty sounds. I am wondering if any of you are approximating this with your FM9 using dual amps/cabs, etc. and how you're getting on with the sounds.

I'm not necessarily going for a STP sound, but I like the idea of the added thickness/clarity. I am currently building a preset with a Dizzy V3 and AC30TB and it sounds pretty good, but I'm curious about your tips/tricks.

FD,

Actually, I use a similar rig with David Grissom's DG30 approximation. The rig uses 3 separate amps on 2 channels, one for clean, the others pushed and saturated. I'm currently waiting for my FM9 to return from FAS so it can be reinstalled on my Duo 24. Doh! I've actually got the Grissom patch stored in my files. Here it is...try this...it's actually a decent rig, IMHO...

Attachments

• GRISSOM1.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 27
FD,

Actually, I use a similar rig with David Grissom's DG30 approximation. The rig uses 3 separate amps on 2 channels, one for clean, the others pushed and saturated. I'm currently waiting for my FM9 to return from FAS so it can be reinstalled on my Duo 24. Doh! I've actually got the Grissom patch stored in my files. Here it is...try this...it's actually a decent rig, IMHO...
Thanks! I'll try it out tonight.

Thanks! I'll try it out tonight.
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. The rig utilizes a 5F1 Tweed EC, a 5F8 Jumped, and a AC20 EF86 Bass, IIRC. Nice cleans but it breaks up with your guitar knob about 8 and above. David G pushes his amps pretty hard and lets his guitar knobs dial in/out the clean/dirty. The amps respond well to that.

Try this:

Create a dual Amp preset with both Amp blocks in parallel with each other.

Put a Mixer block after the Amps.

Adjust both amps so that individually they are close to the same level. You can do this by just adjusting the Mixer level for 1 amp to 100% and the other to 0%.

Once leveled, assign an expression pedal (or manual controller) to the level on both Mixer rows.

On one, set Min/Max to 0/100 and on the other to 100/0.

Now you can play and adjust the mix until it's just right.

I think SRV used a similar dirty+clean approach too. Something like a pushed Fender Vibroverb combined with a high headroom Marshall Major or Dumble Steel String Stinger IIRC.

Factory preset “Plexis+ACs”.
I stumbled onto this shortly after posting this thread. Definitely a good starting point. I still have trouble blending amps when I try to make it my own. It's probably going to be a lot of trial and error for this noob.

Dual amps are what’s pulling me to upgrade from the FM3. Is the thicker sound worth it? I’ve seen opinions going both ways here.

It's probably going to be a lot of trial and error for this noob.
I have no idea what I’m doing, but I did what unix-guy described above. It was very simple, and works great. I hadn’t made my own preset before trying that, so it’s doable. My mixer blocks are before the amps, but I’m not sure that matters. I believe there’s a Cooper Carter YouTube video on how to set it up if you need some additional reference.

Edit: Full disclosure…I did this on my AxeIII….I haven’t tried it on my FM9. But if unix-guy posted that here, it works

Last edited:
I have no idea what I’m doing, but I did what unix-guy described above. It was very simple, and works great. I hadn’t made my own preset before trying that, so it’s doable. My mixer blocks are before the amps, but I’m not sure that matters. I believe there’s a Cooper Carter YouTube video on how to set it up if you need some additional reference.

Edit: Full disclosure…I did this on my AxeIII….I haven’t tried it on my FM9. But if unix-guy posted that here, it works
You put the Mixer before the Amp blocks? I'm not sure how that works...

I did this, as suggested, and enjoyed the results. However, I find my goal is to be able to set the preset up, leave it alone, and just use my guitar volume/tone knobs.
Understood! Best of luck in your quest. I’m sure it’s achievable!

Factory preset “Plexis+ACs”.
I’ve tried this preset a few times recently and it always throws me a little off because I feel like I hear the different amps on different sides and it either throws me for a loop or I’m just not used to it. I use OLLO S5X headphones. Is that intentional or did I accidentally change something within the preset? If it’s an intentional effect, then is it genuinely a mix of the 2 different amps or are they just being panned to different sides?

I’ve tried this preset a few times recently and it always throws me a little off because I feel like I hear the different amps on different sides and it either throws me for a loop or I’m just not used to it. I use OLLO S5X headphones. Is that intentional or did I accidentally change something within the preset? If it’s an intentional effect, then is it genuinely a mix of the 2 different amps or are they just being panned to different sides?
The amps are panned right and left. If it bugs you, pan them both right up the middle.

Back
Top Bottom