Here are some of my favourites...

Adagio from Concierto de Aranjuez by Joaquín Rodrigo: John Williams - J. Rodrigo - Adagio from Concierto de Aranjuez - YouTube

Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber: Adagio for Strings (Samuel Barber) - YouTube

Lilium (my favourite soundtrack, from Elfen Lied) by Kaoriha Konishi & Yukio Kondou: Lilium extended dark-jedi version (high quality) - YouTube

Tabula Rasa by Arvo Pärt: Arvo Pärt - Tabula Rasa - YouTube

Rachmaninov's piano concerto No.2: H. Grimaud 1/3 Rachmaninov piano concerto No.2 in C minor, op.18 [Moderato] - YouTube H. Grimaud 2/3 Rachmaninov piano concerto No.2 in C minor, op.18 [Adagio sostenuto] - YouTube H. Grimaud 3/3 Rachmaninov piano concerto No.2 in C minor, op.18 [Allegro scherzando] - YouTube

And for those of you who like your music best served brutal... Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima by Krzysztof Penderecki: Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima - Krzysztof Penderecki - YouTube

Last edited:
I have several performances of Adagio from Concierto de Aranjuez...

the best by far was by Narciso Yepes and the Orquesta Nacional de España
I think it was recorded in the early 50's

for me, this is the difinative performance...
nothing I've heard comes close..
it's so soulful that it makes my hair stand on end

In 1974, Reich began writing what many would call his seminal work, Music for 18 Musicians. This piece involved many new ideas, although it also hearkened back to earlier pieces. It is based on a cycle of eleven chords introduced at the beginning (called "Pulses"), followed by a small section of music based on each chord ("Sections I-XI"), and finally a return to the original cycle ("Pulses"). This was Reich's first attempt at writing for larger ensembles. The increased number of performers resulted in more scope for psychoacoustic effects, which fascinated Reich, and he noted that he would like to "explore this idea further". Reich remarked that this one work contained more harmonic movement in the first five minutes than any other work he had written.

There is so much happening there within each chord... talk about using everything to it's full potential! Proof that you don't need a million notes or chord changes to create an interesting piece.

Rostropovich performs Henri Dutilleux's Cello Concerto "Tout un monde lointain", first movement "Enigme".

I like this.

Here are some of my favourites...
And for those of you who like your music best served brutal... Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima by Krzysztof Penderecki

I forget the name and listen to the space.

...talk about using everything to it's full potential! Proof that you don't need a million notes or chord changes to create an interesting piece.

Among things posted.

Barbers adagio is a great piece.

Krzysztof Penderecki is a composer I like to listen to and this piece was as beuatiful as maybe brutal.

I had not listened to Morton Feldman's music before, I'm glad you posted this Sten.

Why not more Sergei Rachmaninoff but just voices -- Vespers (All-Night Vigil) 1:st movement

So many great pieces here. I have to single out John Cage's 4'33" though as making us look at music in a new way. Laziness or genius, it's all personal. LOL!!!

For me, Bach's BWV999 is a lovely piece to play, a good exercise for the left hand. The prelude to his 1st Cello suite is also kinda awesome. Guitar music favourite... I have to echo the person who mentioned La Caterdal by Augustin Barrios Mangore. It's AMAZING....

Favourite classical piece overall though has to be Arvo Paart's Spiegel Im Spiegel, for cello and piano. It makes my heart ache when I hear it.

So many great pieces here. I have to single out John Cage's 4'33" though as making us look at music in a new way. Laziness or genius, it's all personal. LOL!!!
I sampled it to use in one of my songs, obviously editing the coughs out :mrgreen

Oh I'm aaaaall about Chopin, Beethoven, romanticism and my favourite performer is Valentina Lisitsa and Leif Ove Andsnes

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

listen for the harmonics singing from 3:38, holy smokes! Like an ice-cube gliding down my spine!

Once I heard Béla Bartók - Concerto For Orchestra, live with Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra. It was at a time that I was not as much into classical music as I am nowadays. But the opening captured me and kept me there.

" I've always wanted to record my acoustic pieces with the London Symphony". David St. Hubbins

Back
Top Bottom