I'm a big fan of classical music (though not especially of the era called the same - don't really like Mozart, but love his Requiem).
Favorite composers are Gustav Mahler and Anton Bruckner but there are dozens others, where I love this or that piece.

Here's one of my absolute favorite symphonies - about 80 minutes long and I love every movement. I can't say that about many symphonies.

Alot of slow movements (often adagio) are boring, but not this one. The crescendo at 50:00 and onwards makes me shiver every time. Mahler has these "signature dissonances" I adore. Not simply off sounding (anyone can put tension into chords this way), but still musical. Almost jazz :)

Last edited:
And speaking of neo-classical/film score (well, they sto... ahem, borrowed everything from 19th cent. composers anyway ;) ):
Joe Hisaishi's score for "Hana Bi" is amazing (as is the movie by Takeshi Kitano).

I am a big fan of classical guitar music, and I in fact started my guitar playing as a classical player.

LOVE the music of South American composer Augustine Barrios Mangore... My absolute favourite piece of his is "La Catederal" (The Cathedral), in particular, the 3rd movement, "Allegro Solemne" which one day I will nail...

Here is Ana Vidovic playing the piece. Forward to 03:16 for the 3rd movement, which always makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when I hear that run start...

I like "classical music" a lot including that of the classical era.
There are so many great works and performances it would be difficult to single one out.

This piece is actually from the Baroque period by Handel. It is very special to me as my father sent a telegram to my grandfather who was an organist with the melody to this piece when I was born. Nothing else was written on the telegram as the melody was all that was needed for the message.

Great idea for a thread and I will subscribe to it.

Reactions: gpz
Hey I saw Ana Vidovic in concert here in Mauritius, it was quite surreal, she was playing in the lounge of a five star hotel and there was maybe 20 tourists around and no one seemed to understand how great she is

This is my absolute favorite classical piece, by Bach, so much emotion in here :
(watch part 2 too)

The Mendelssohn E Minor Violin concerto. Here it is played by Jascha Heifetz, the classical equivalent of a rock god (and usually regarded as the greatest violinist of the 20th century). I've heard a few neo-classical guitarists attempt this, but no-one has ever really pulled it off (at least from what I've heard)

I adore classical music... always have....
jeez... I could add a ton of stuff here...
I'll look for some links a little later...

Back
Top Bottom