Classic vibe on FM3 vs AX8

Alex Kolund

Hey there,

I'm having some trouble recreating this Classic Vibe sound from the AX8.
Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 8.42.03 PM.png
1602463553604.png

Here's what I've got on the FM3 and it's just not quite there. Something to do with the extra settings?
1602463595684.png
1602463605901.png

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

"Not quite there" is not quite enough information. Can you explain what's off or provide recordings of A and B?

Reactions: Rex
"Not quite there" is not quite enough information. Can you explain what's off or provide recordings of A and B?
@USMC_Trev has a good point. Without knowing what you're hearing that's "not quite there," there's nothing for us to go on.

So all we're left with is screen captures. While we're looking at those, can you spot the parameter you've set twice as high on the AX8? :)

Thanks for chiming in. I'll make some recordings to illustrate this but it's tricky because I run the vibe early in the chain so it affects everything downstream in different ways depending on the scene. For now, another way to ask the question is, how do some of the AX8 Phaser parameters map to the new ones in FM3?

Specifically:
  • Is Min Frequency (FM3) the equivalent of Frequency Start (AX8)?
  • How do I achieve a specific value of AX8’s Frequency Span without that knob. (Presumably by setting Max Frequency to a different setting.)
  • There’s a huge difference between Order 8 on the two units. On FM3, order 4 sounds much closer to the AX8’s order 8 sound.
  • Bulb Bias settings seem quite different.
  • What should the settings of the extra parameters (Manual, Astable Beta, Photocell Att/Rel, etc) on the FM3 be to achieve the AX8 sound?

This actually gets me much closer. (Note that switched to using Order 8 but the max/min frequency values are quite different.)

1602531108122.png

I guess you did, but if not best to start with would be to read the effect block descriptions of the AX8 and FM3 manuals and compare the description of the parameters. For me it helped a lot for digging the Axe Fx 2 delays compared to the FM3's Plexdelay and Shimmerdelay.

Back
Top Bottom