Classic Songs whose mixes still hold up this day

I saw them a few times in the early 70's at the Golden Bear in Huntington Beach. Tragic the way Randy left us. A true hero.
They were my favorite non-Zappa band from the eponymous first album ..never got to see them live ..my dear friend and musical influence Charles Bundy recorded and toured briefly with Randy in his final (?) project before his tragic passing, Kaptain Kopter and the Twirly-Birds...

ok...so what's up with Roxy Music? They've been mentioned several times and this is a guitar forum. I'm racking my brain trying to remember what song I know from MTV (yeah, probably the worst if you're a RM fan right?).

I'm saying all this BEFORE I dig in to the interweb and educate myself on Roxy Music and Brian Ferry. I immediately think of new wave stuff, like The Fixx (I have a few songs on my playlists), Peter Gabriel, The Smiths, etc. Back then I was opposed to anything with synths. I'm much older now and have some nostalgia and more of an open mind than I did back then. So, maybe I'll discover a wealth of music that's been under my nose all of these years. Hey, I just recently dove into King's X. And they're from my area.

I threw on Hall & Oats "She's Gone" on the way home. Really great song and interesting how the hi-hat was panned right. Man the 70's really had the greatest songwriters.

My buddy made me listen to Green Day's American Idiot after he and I sparred over 'best concept albums'. He'd never heard Operation Mindcrime. I'd never listened to American Idiot (on purpose). I listened. I thought the mix was great and it was well produced. Not exactly punk. I'm prejudiced because I can't stand hearing an American singer singing with a British accent....lol. Mindcrime wins hands down, IMHO.

“ I'm prejudiced because I can't stand hearing an American singer singing with a British accent..”

Love this!

These are all albums:
Def Leppard-High N Dry
Eagles-Hotel California
Journey-Frontiers
Michael Jackson-Off the Wall
AC/DC-High Voltage
The Black Crowes-The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion
All have great sound quality and/or great guitar tone, and have held up well over time.

Can you and @bradlake please get together and write a book detailing the music you guys have experienced through the years?

Both of you guys seem to have large libraries to draw from...particularly from the classic years....Do it in chronological order but in the style of the Jaws scene where they are drunkenly telling stories of their scars. I'm thinking large Coffee table format, not unlike Mr Lee's recent Bass book.

Thanks in Advance, Look forward to the first edition run.
John is even older than I am, he had a head start, but I started concert-going at a very young age..our family business (that I worked for til I was 30)
Was a very entertainment oriented summer resort, where I not only got to book local bands to gig at our place, (I had Cheap Trick pre-first album),
But for several years, approx 1967-72 , twice a week, we loaded one or two chartered school-buses full of teens and went off to one of the early outdoor rock venues (Majestic Hill, WI), a converted airplane hangar , for all-ages shows of everyone from Tull to Who to James Brown to Vanilla Fudge to Three Dog night ..even Zappa played there once.. there is where I honed my lifelong addiction to concertgoing.

Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs
Miles Davis - A Kind of Blue
Santana - Europa
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Boston - Boston and Don't Look Back

Van Halen - pick just about any of them
Al DiMeola - Elegant Gypsy
Pink Floyd - The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon
Helmet - Meantime
The Clash - London Calling
U2 - War
Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
Iron Maiden - Powerslave

+1 for Toy Matinee and pretty much any Pink Floyd from Animals onward.

I'll also add Chicago 17. Great production IMO (Grammy-winning) on that album.

This right here +1000 Tom Sawyer for the win on testing out a bad-ass stereo system!!

Moving Pictures is definitely on my list and Tom Sawyer sounds great. But the MIX doesn't jump out to me. As much as it pains me to dare say it. Don't get me wrong, the easy fix is to just turn it up!!

Also, why is Limelight's tuning just a tad sharp or flat? I can play with the rest of the album just fine but Limelight has something off in the tuning, which pains me because I love playing that song.

Vital Signs is the song from that album that shines sonically, IMO.

I'm finding it odd that this a guitar players' forum and a good chunk of the music listed isn't guitar oriented. I guess it goes to show how well rounded we Fractal users are :cool:

To be honest, I can't think of any classic songs whose mixes DON'T hold up.

To me...and I know it's my opinion... And Justice For All sounds like a$$. Kill Em All does too but I'm lenient because it was their first album. There's just no excuse for AJFA. The quality of the songs make up for the poor mix.

Lots of great guest artists on that one. Didn't Capt Picard narrate that? :)

Yeah, fun album.

That does remind me of one I think still holds up.

war.jpg

I gave a copy of it to my stereo geek friend a few years ago, and have listened to it at his place on some expensive equipment. I think it still sounds great.

He liked it so much, that he forces his family to endure it every Christmas Eve.

Back
Top Bottom