Classic Songs whose mixes still hold up this day

ok...so what's up with Roxy Music? They've been mentioned several times and this is a guitar forum. I'm racking my brain trying to remember what song I know from MTV (yeah, probably the worst if you're a RM fan right?).
Avalon was mixed by Bob Clearmountain and was genre-defining for its adult contemporary sound. It’s clear, everything is in the right place, with a ton of “space” in the mix.

It’s also some of the best songwriting and playing out of the band. Brian Ferry’s vocals are sublime — melding with the instruments in a manner few ever achieve.

The whole album is just perfect.

The hits were Avalon and More Than This.

Last edited:
Funny, as a kid, my go to test was Great White Buffalo off of double live gonzo...yeah I know...but it sounded good at full volume...and I was twelve after all.

But these days days it's pretty much any Steely Dan, as the OP suggested. Not too many days go by without the Royal Scam Album pouring out of my A7x's.

Honestly?
Everything to me still sounds good today.

Very little to me doesn't hold up.

To me THE BEST stuff across all the changes/generations of sound/mixing is Michael Jackson's stuff

First CD I got was HIStory and was floored by the sound of CD's and it was translated perfect from the 80s and still sounds perfect today, and all the mixes/remasters since then of this hits- Thriller/Bad/Dangerous/Etc

Avalon was mixed by Bob Clearmountain and was genre-defining for its adult contemporary sound. It’s clear, everything is in the right place, with a ton of “space” in the mix.

It’s also some of the best songwriting and playing out of the band. Brian Ferry’s vocals are sublime — melding with the instruments in a manner few ever achieve.

The whole album is just perfect.

The hits were Avalon and More Than This.

I feel bad that I totally know that song and know of Roxy Music, but never knew that's who they were. Great tune!

I feel bad that I totally know that song and know of Roxy Music, but never knew that's who they were. Great tune!
No need to feel bad! Now you get that experience of discovering something new. That first listen of an album that sounds so different and compelling to you is a wonderful experience.

No need to feel bad! Now you get that experience of discovering something new. That first listen of an album that sounds so different and compelling to you is a wonderful experience.
Yep... I think I shall be listening to that album very soon.

Funny thing - the drummer I played with for 25 years often told me I played stuff like Roxy Music. I can hear it!

Best produced single for me ever is Elton John--Rocket Man. Just listen how all the parts come together.

Gus Dudgeon was a genius.

After my experience tonight, I must add the first King Crimson album..............50th anniversary tour of that album and the bands run(s) I just got home from......

Honestly?
Everything to me still sounds good today.

Very little to me doesn't hold up.

To me THE BEST stuff across all the changes/generations of sound/mixing is Michael Jackson's stuff

First CD I got was HIStory and was floored by the sound of CD's and it was translated perfect from the 80s and still sounds perfect today, and all the mixes/remasters since then of this hits- Thriller/Bad/Dangerous/Etc
Bruce Swedien(whose daughters I hung with in high school and who engineered one of my only existing pro studio vocal recordings ) was largely responsible for the amazing depth of the original masters of Thriller and Bad

Saw them in the Denver arena in 68. The opening act was Led Zeppelin. Headliner was Vanilla Fudge.

Can you and @bradlake please get together and write a book detailing the music you guys have experienced through the years?

Both of you guys seem to have large libraries to draw from...particularly from the classic years....Do it in chronological order but in the style of the Jaws scene where they are drunkenly telling stories of their scars. I'm thinking large Coffee table format, not unlike Mr Lee's recent Bass book.

Thanks in Advance, Look forward to the first edition run.

Back
Top Bottom