Classic Rock Tones?

CudBucket

Inspired
Just wondering how many folks here are using the AFIII for older, "simpler" tones from the '70s. I'm jamming with a band that does a ton of Allman Brothers as well as Doobie Brothers and Steely Dan. I've been working on an Allman Brothers type preset with scenes for clean, lead, etc.

It might appear to some that the AFIII is way more than what might be needed to get a passable version of these tones. But hey. I have one and why not try to have some fun with the AFIII and replicate them? Normally, I'd just use a Hot Rod Deluxe and some pedals with my Les Paul for a live scenario.

Thanks.
Dave

Many folks here do ... from Fenders to Marshall’s to Vox ... even FAS idealized versions of them. With over 200 amps to pick from, finding 2-3 won’t be difficult.

heck, I’ve been playing the ’59 Bassman and plexi’s for the past 6 months nearly exclusively (using guitar volume pots for tone and gain interactions). Try the 1970s plexi. Old school bro ... 😎

Tons of us do. Take whatever combination of amps, cabs, effects, etc that you want, build a patch, and go nuts.
After you’ve landed on a few classic combinations that work for you, start combining rigs using channels if you want- you can get a variety of amazing rigs with just one preset using different channels for each block. (Channel A for the amp block is a nice Fender, B is an Ac-30, C is a Plexi, D is a Hiwatt, or whatever floats your boat.). Use scenes to switch back and forth.

I started with the Plexis but have been digging the Friedmans lately...I did a full set last weekend on the Friedman HBE 2018 with my les paul and it was FUN. All classic rock stuff.

Interesting. Even though the Soldanos and Friedmans are based on Marshalls, I generally associate them with high-gain tones. I'll have to look at those for these kinds of tones too.

Interesting. Even though the Soldanos and Friedmans are based on Marshalls, I generally associate them with high-gain tones. I'll have to look at those for these kinds of tones too.

lots of really responsive amps and tools to get what you want - trust your ears. This box is so flexible - it’s better that “real” amps imo where you can modify circuits in ways you wouldn’t or couldn’t IRL.

Start w what you know aka former rigs, then add stuff as you can absorb and fiddle with effectively.

Also, on the wiki there is a truly great .pdf Amplifier Guide which details all the amp models in the AxeFx and their real life counter parts. (There is also one for the Drives.) These we’re done by member @yek

Fas Crunch, Plexi 6550, and Plexi 50 Hi (1 or 2) all scratch that classic rock 70’s itch for me. For cabs, go to the Picker and type in GB in the filter to get at some greenbacks. I also really love the Rumble cabs with the 121 mic to go with Marshalls.

Today I also took a Brit 800, picked Factory 2 cab 912 (a Rumble) and at default settings it was a great crunch sound with lots of bite. I was rehearsing Mary Jane’s Last Dance it sounded perfect.

Look around in this forum. I would say that many of us know use 'classic' tones have been satisfied for so long, and it's progressively easier and easier to dial in.

Plexi 50 Hi is my go to. I like the 'Bassman' as well when you dime it (not surprising here.) . The AC20 is my best 'chime' amp, and you can't miss with almost any of the Fenders.

Keep in mind that CAB choice and tweaks make or break your tone.

All good advice above. I'll also add that Warren Haynes used a Soldano SLO-100 a lot w/ the Allmans... it certainly doesn't have to only be a high-gain amp.

All good advice above. I'll also add that Warren Haynes used a Soldano SLO-100 a lot w/ the Allmans... it certainly doesn't have to only be a high-gain amp.
His is modded, but, IIRC, the mod is to remove the bright cap on the gain control, so the bright switch can do "the Warren Haynes Mod" for you. Doubtless a good Lester and one of the old school Marshalls should get you close. Not sure if a Marshall 4x12 with JBL speakers exists in the IR realm, but that is what all the old stories say they used on the old stuff. Maybe a Fender 2x12" with JBLs exists and will get you closer. For Derek Trucks' sound, you will want to look at a Super Reverb....

Back
Top Bottom