Classic Metal with the Atomica

Axe-Master
There's no AX8 recording sub-forum so I'll post this here. I tracked guitars for my friend Dan Brittain's classic metal inspired solo album last year using the AX8 and he's just released this track. It's got a Mercyful Fate/Maiden/Priest vibe I think a lot of you will dig.

The main rhythm and lead guitars are the Atomica at stock settings into a TV Mix IR that I shared a while back. The intro and outro are a Strat with the AC20 (again stock settings) into the same IR with an analog chorus block with the Deluxe Mind guy delay.

Using the AX8 made it super easy and Dan was blown away by the tones I was able to get so quickly.

I thought: ”MF, really?” And then came the ”princess from hell” falsetto along with those tempo changes, so yeah ... :)

Excellent playing and juicy tones. Stock settings you say? Should look into that IR ...

Atomica is such an easy amp too get awesomeness from! I don't like switching over to my Atomica preset because of all the work I put into my Marshall preset. I can't stand the fact that I've tweaked the Marshall preset, using all the tech notes tricks and advanced setting tweaks, etc... And the Atomica nails it with just the amp block and cab. By far it's the easiest amp block to set up, IMO. I would've never tried it until I watched Leon's video and also watched Marco's stuff. I figured I'd give it shot to see what the big deal was. I had monster tone in less than a minute.

There's no AX8 recording sub-forum so I'll post this here. I tracked guitars for my friend Dan Brittain's classic metal inspired solo album last year using the AX8 and he's just released this track. It's got a Mercyful Fate/Maiden/Priest vibe I think a lot of you will dig.

The main rhythm and lead guitars are the Atomica at stock settings into a TV Mix IR that I shared a while back. The intro and outro are a Strat with the AC20 (again stock settings) into the same IR with an analog chorus block with the Deluxe Mind guy delay.

Using the AX8 made it super easy and Dan was blown away by the tones I was able to get so quickly.

you mean you didn't put the ___ at .3 and the __ at 0.65 and a half, and the __ to magical-unicorn? :O

Good heavens, man, you just nailed that!

I've been appreciating your videos for a while now. I only just realized you're the spitting image of a guy I knew in high school (1983) who inspired me to pick up the guitar in the first place (except he had no beard). He set me on this journey I'm still on, and I don't think he knows it. I should thank him. Or thank you. Or probably both! :D:cool:

LOVE the tones - so classic metal \m/ Great playing, as always!

The singer gets into old Fates Warning, Awaken The Guardian, territory - cool!

I'm almost 100% sold on the Atomica. Over the past week or so I've been toying around with a preset that's just the amp block, an 808 drive block and cab and I have this thing sounding so amazing (to me of course). The one quality that I'd like to be able dial in is the ability to clean up with the guitar volume knob.

I have my Marshall preset that's taken me almost 2 years to develop. It's got all the tricks form Cliff's tech notes incorporated into it, including a filter block as suggested in the Tech Notes EQ thread. That trick really does add more life to the preset. I've tweaked the Character parameters, etc... Soo proud of it ...lol. And the Atomica nails it without all the advanced tweaks (although I had to take a few liberties). But I can't clean it up w/ the knob. And I don't know why that's problem for me because I can step on another scene and bingo, no problem.

Would diving into the negative feedback & compression parameters be a step in the right direction or should I just resign myself to the fact that the Atomica is a high gain beast and I'm not gonna get a plexi clean (clean to mean) without setting up scenes or using control switches? I don't like the idea that something can't be done.

If you guys dig this you should really get into SATAN z"COURT IN THE ACT", and now they reformed with all original members; all their new albums are amazing!

Back
Top Bottom