Class D amps

Chiguete

Experienced
Ok so do you guys use small Class D amps to power your cabs? Show your solutions and info of what you got and where you got them! :)

I use a Soundsation Zeus D900 class D power amp. It's a 1u rack but it's very light (only 2 kg) and powerful. It's a linear/neutral power amp and works perfectly with my Axe Fx II. I use this in my gigs with several cabs (Marshall 1912, 1960, Line 6 cab) in stereo or mono and works/sounds great.
Last but not least it's very cheap.

I bet it's LOUD but on my setup now I just have 2x65w speakers and I want to run them in stereo so I'm trying to find a solution with less watts of power... now that might change in the future if the new Celestion F12-X200 speakers turn out to be as nice as people are saying but untill then I'm looking for something with less power.

I use a Soundsation Zeus D900 class D power amp. It's a 1u rack but it's very light (only 2 kg) and powerful. It's a linear/neutral power amp and works perfectly with my Axe Fx II. I use this in my gigs with several cabs (Marshall 1912, 1960, Line 6 cab) in stereo or mono and works/sounds great.
Last but not least it's very cheap.
I've read other posts by you about this amp, also it can be purchased easily in europe. Have you had any problem with realiability? Amp shuts off or similar?
I'm really undecided between this setup with a 3U rack, and a 2U rack with a pedal amp like the SD Powerstage, what do you think? :D

I've read other posts by you about this amp, also it can be purchased easily in europe. Have you had any problem with realiability? Amp shuts off or similar?
I'm really undecided between this setup with a 3U rack, and a 2U rack with a pedal amp like the SD Powerstage, what do you think? :D
I have this power amp since 2015 and I didn't have nothing problem until now.
It works very efficiently.
The SD power stage has a different approach (respect at the standard p.a. power amps) because it colores the sound in a sort of sag effect (like a tube power amp) so you should disabilitate the power amp sag of the Axe Fx.
I prefer the use of the Axe Fx with a neutral power amp but this could be a subjective choise for each.

Has anyone tried those class D TDA3116 chip amp boards on eBay? The boards are all pre-assembled and just need a power supply, enclosure, and ins/outs attached.

I ordered one the other day and should be here next week, I’ll report back on whether it’s any good.

Unfortunately I don’t have a Matrix or any decent SS poweramp to compare it against.

Has anyone tried those class D TDA3116 chip amp boards on eBay? The boards are all pre-assembled and just need a power supply, enclosure, and ins/outs attached.

I ordered one the other day and should be here next week, I’ll report back on whether it’s any good.

Unfortunately I don’t have a Matrix or any decent SS poweramp to compare it against.
Thanks for taking one for the team to try it out :)

Those are pretty inexpensive! with the specs they are publishing I wouldn't expect too much though, Which one did you order?

The TPA3116 class D board arrived today, so I put it in a little plastic box that I had spare. All I had to do was attach wires for the in, out, and power.

It’s quite incognito on top of my rack bag.

26A53791-756C-4B56-B3F9-B4450DB0F73A.jpeg

It sounds really good to me, though unfortunately I can’t compare it against much... I’ve been using a tube poweramp until recently and the only other solidstate poweramp I have to compare is the amp out of a really cheap Kustom PA speaker (TDA7294 chip amp, which appears to be pretty old tech). It sounds loads better than the TDA7294, that old chip amp sounds pretty dull and gutless to me.

The TPA3116 is apparently 100 Watts (technically 50 Watts per side stereo but this is a bridged mono board), not sure if that is peak or RMS. probably peak.

I’m happy with it, punchy and clean, amp models sound clear to me. I just lost about an hour and a half to the IIC++ model, I haven’t made it sound this good in a while.

I don’t know how it would hold together at gig volumes or anything, I’m just playing at loud bedroom volumes right now. I set the volume trim pot on the board at half way and I’m just using the axe fx’s output level to control volume (at about 15%). Also into a 16 ohm cab so that also reduces some output. I got a big fat 15 amp (way overkill) DPDT switch so I can make it switchable between 4 and 16 ohms, but my speaker cable isn’t here yet.

The wire, jacks, and box I all had spare so this cost me £10.89, which is money well spent for me. Still under £15 if I had bought everything. If you can work a drill and soldering iron I would recommend giving it a shot. I bet it’s comparable in sound to a 44 magnum or that Mooer baby bomb, if you opened one up I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re using this chip (or maybe the lower wattage version).

EF84769E-7A1C-4167-9F21-509365FE94FB.jpeg

edit - it works on something like 5 volts to 26 volts, I'm just using an old 19 volt laptop power supply, which is kind of noisy with some pedals, but its dead quiet with this, so that's a plus. I'm not really sure what amperage this chip draws so I didn't want to use my usual power supply. The laptop power supply can supply up to 4.7 amps though so that is plenty.

Last edited:
Interesting review! now all we need is a comparison... it's not like we can really expect to sound like a Matrix but just for curiosity :)

Interesting review! now all we need is a comparison... it's not like we can really expect to sound like a Matrix but just for curiosity :)

Yeah I doubt it’s as good as a Matrix but it’s certainly good and usable.

I’ve kept an eye out for a used Matrix but haven’t seen one for sale in a while, hopefully at some point I can get one and compare.

Interesting to give it a try, just because of the cheap price (no risk).
For those who want something ready, there is of course the all-in-one version, which is also very cheap

Amazon product ASIN B079P49BPB
but for home use only, just one question.
What is the difference with using an old HIFI amplifier. ? (I have one available).
(okay, the solution above is way smaller).

Interesting to give it a try, just because of the cheap price (no risk).
For those who want something ready, there is of course the all-in-one version, which is also very cheap

Amazon product ASIN B079P49BPB
but for home use only, just one question.
What is the difference with using an old HIFI amplifier. ? (I have one available).
(okay, the solution above is way smaller).

If you’re fine with the size/weight, an old HIFI amp should be fine if the sound quality is good. The major benefits to these class D chips seem to be that they’re small, light, efficient, cheap, and most importantly they sound good.

Old hifi gear can certainly sound good and be flat response, but older cheap stuff may not, as I found with an the old and cheap chip amp in my powered PA speaker.

I should check that (just curious, because I am plenty satasfied with my monitors in my music room).
Thanks for the answer.

I have a nice stereo amplifier + colum speakers I don't use often anymore (nice quality, just that they are not my main hifi system )
It costs nothing to try, and it will give maybe some other ideas (for example with a real cab ).
(I don't need high playing level at home)

Nothing to do with the current subject, but just a question
What about building a combo with an AXE FX II and a pair of integrated powered studio monitor ?
I have personally never seen anything like that.
May it sound pretty good, or will it sound for sure totally bad (because on the floor, ....)?
Something a little like that, but with two monitors instead of an FRFR powered cab .
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/my-new-xitone-axe-fx-ii-combo.96025/
http://fluidaudio.net/products/fader-series/fx8/black

Again, just curious
(I like to have small "projects" ongoing ; building such a combo could be one of them, just for the fun of building something)

It would be interesting to compare that to a Magnum 44 power pedal! for the money I'll bet it's a very inexpensive alternative.

Yeah I doubt it’s as good as a Matrix but it’s certainly good and usable.

I’ve kept an eye out for a used Matrix but haven’t seen one for sale in a while, hopefully at some point I can get one and compare.
So have you been able to teste it out vs other stuff?

Also why is it that new small watt Class D amps with XLR imputs aren't showing up now for the users of modeler units?

Back
Top Bottom