Clark's Stock IRs: TOP SECRET

I'm curious, did you make a comparison if the tone match was able to be as precise as the original IRs?

Good question! Perhaps Cliff will chime in to clarify some probobly wrong assumptions i did: I only ABed by ear using mid-price In-Ears. Perhaps you want do that for yourself.

If i remember correct, TMA Hires = 1024 points. The other question is: What resolution will have the UR-IR export of that tonematch? In my understanding the measurment based on the RAW8k samples (like IR capture also) to be capable to export TMA as (reasonable) UR-IR. So, export function will support UR-resolution, as long the measurment data is in the 8KRAW cache?! Because after saving TMA, switch Axe-Fx off and on again, the cache should be deleted and a preset is not large enough to contain the 8KRAW data?! That assumed, audition the TMA should be less accurate than audition the UR export from the TMA measurment in comparison to the primary IR-Mix ... hmm ...

Another thing is perhaps the accuracy of my TMA measuring method. I did use synth-block 3rd voice sine, frequency to LFO with slow rate and TMA time to PeakHold. While the Synth Sine from voice 3 can be 20Hz - 20kHz it should be fine. But viewing the plot, something weird seems happen below 40Hz:

public.php

NOTE: The purple frequency response shows (logical) NOT UR, but HiRes conversion to .wav (via JoJo`s converter). First assumption refering to the weird 40Hz and lower department: Converter works not accurate. Validation that the conversion is correct:
Green line = Capture of a simple speaker emulation with Voxengo Deconvoler
Blue Line = Voxengo IR via CabLab converted to -> HiRes.syx -> via JoJo converter re-converted to .wav
Result: JoJos converter works like a charm.
Red line: UltraRes conversion from original Voxengo IR, re-captured with TMA, exported as HiRes, reconvert via JoJo to .wav.
Result: Here it happens! Two theorys why: 1) My measuring method lacks (TMA settings, sine sweep from synth lacks, whatever) 2) IR export or TMA Block trims "to much". Some offset thingy... If i remember correct, Cliff refine the trim-algorithm to prevent some issues, when tonematching outboard gear or so....

Anyhow: From judgement with my ears i would say: Super accurate! And that`s what counts to me at the end....

PS.: After tonematching your two CabIRs into one i thought i`ve done something wrong looking to the TMA plot. Cliff stated earlier: Window shows +/- 20db, vertical dots represent 2db. I tried to find a similiar window in RoomEQ Wizard and ask me:

Did the TMA screen shows not bandwidth 20Hz to 20kHz, but something like 100Hz to 10kHz?:

public.php

Cliff, hopefully you will bring some light into the dark ... ?

Sorry for getting a bit OT :roll

[EDIT] Meanwhile i believe the TMA window bandwidth is scaling depending on the frequency response... would make sense... i don`t know ...

Last edited:
That's nice. Probably a bit geeky for some people but I'm also doing tests like these day in day out. I think I'll also do a test of my own to make sure.

The Speaker res settings are really important. I got really close to Roadster with recto2 just tweaking lo/hi res after a million TMs. And I did more TM testing with the Mark IV we have in our studio. Lo freg peak seemed to be around 103hz with this Traditional cab (used for cabpack7), at least with that freq I got the most flat low end TM results. Matching the high end for this MK IV, the presence had to be around 5 to match real amps 3 like Clark already told. You could bring up the hi res as well but raising presence worked just fine. But with the Recto models you really have to tweak the hi res because the presence knob doesn't do alot, even at 10...

The Speaker res settings are really important. I got really close to Roadster with recto2 just tweaking lo/hi res after a million TMs. And I did more TM testing with the Mark IV we have in our studio. Lo freg peak seemed to be around 103hz with this Traditional cab

Shoot a IR from the PowerAmps Line out, while it see the cab load. IMHO, If 103Hz is low res, you should just see that in the frequency response of the amp. So, not million TMs needed, or the Speaker page is not the "right" page to tweak for flatness, imho.

Shoot a IR from the PowerAmps Line out, while it see the cab load. IMHO, If 103Hz is low res, you should just see that in the frequency response of the amp. So, not million TMs needed, or the Speaker page is not the "right" page to tweak for flatness, imho.

We did... it's a curve that can't be done with the speaker tab of the amp block. I'll see if I find a picture of it.

This response is what i get from a Koch Studiotone Line out with inbuilt resistive dummy load:

public.php

and this is the response from the power amp with a dedicated speaker-cabinet as reactive load:

public.php

Hey Clark / Irotlas, just curious, can you say which IR(s) make up the "cause of all evil" preset IR? its one of my favorites and at bedroom levels it sounds pretty close to your top secret mix.

Hey Clark / Irotlas, just curious, can you say which IR(s) make up the "cause of all evil" preset IR? its one of my favorites and at bedroom levels it sounds pretty close to your top secret mix.

I think I might have it written down somewhere on a paper at home. :) It's a single alloy IR IIRC. Those presets are usually the first IRs in the alloy folders. I think 3 of the preset IRs are the first three IRs in SM57-MD421... you'll find it pretty quickly if you just try the first IRs in the alloy folders. :)

Cool that's one of my favorites too :)

It's 100% sm57-md421 alloy, and it's 57 B + 421 C or both mics at C speaker, can't remember...

Maybe I exaggerated a little bit :D but all the million TMs were not just about lo res tuning, more like the whole spectrum.

Any chance we could see or explain the 5 band EQ for the USA lead or CII+ that you guys tweaked out against the real deal?
This is where Im scrambling for more reference.....thanks

Well. If you want that super tight low end like Petrucci then turn the bass knob down... we actually had it at zero for our extremely serious recordings on the real amp. And then bring that low end back with the 80hz fader. (+6-8dB) For some reason the 240hz fader matched the real amp when it was set a bit lower. I think we had it close to 0dB. 750hz is definitely the most effective controls. -9dB is probably the furthest you ever want to go. I think we had it around -7.5dB. Then boost the 2200hz knob a few dBs. Have the 6600hz knob close to where you set the 80hz knob. I think we had it +1dB higher. Something like that. Middle knob on the amp doesn't do much really... noon is fine.

I don't read the manual or release notes like a bible so I don't know everything but right now I think I need to read a bit more why there's speaker resonance inside the amp block....... :lol

My guess why it's in the Amp block (as opposed to the seemingly more logical Cab block) is so users that play their Axe-Fx's through a real power amp and cab can have access to it and fine tune it to their cab.

Not everyone uses or has a need for you and your fake cabinet file thingys. :razz :mrgreen ;)

Edit - This is assuming the Speaker page in the Amp block is still active when the power amp simulation is turned off.

(...)as opposed to the seemingly more logical Cab block(...)

It is placed where it happens in the real world: In the Power amp. Assuming playing SS Amps with actual cabinet - speaker tab is in the only place, where it makes sense! But I`m with you when turning off PowerAmp sim, speaker tab should be ignored as well. Hopefully it will so...

Last edited:
Yeah exactly. I tried reading about it. The resonance depends on the actual cabinet that's being used but happens in the amp right? I measured the Mark IV with the Traditional Mesa 4x12 cab and got something completely different to what's in the speaker page. I've been trying to tweak the speaker page to match that result but it's really hard. :)

Yeah exactly. I tried reading about it. The resonance depends on the actual cabinet that's being used but happens in the amp right?

Exactly. IOW: The default values in the speaker page are assumptions. They expect, you are using THIS or THAT?!) dedicated speaker cabinet representing the default values. Those values cannot be "accurate" as long the Axe don`t know the resonance curve from the real speaker (or it`s IRs). Thiswill never happen by design: The virtual PowerAmp can`t receive those informations from a real cab... so, the "blind" PowerAmp needs to data input from external measurment, if target is maximal "accuracy".

Last edited:
A huge question to Clark..(or anyone that can actually answer too)

When I try to put it into Stereo Ultra Res like the pictures...It doesn't allow me to have two cabs...what should I do?? I'm lost and confused.

Back
Top Bottom