Clark Kent: Treason (Axe-Fx vs. POD HD500 review)

Then again a tube amp and a SUPER LOUD tube amp don't have similar attack. I'd say the super loud amp isn't as tight as one with volume down and I think POD HD is modeled more like a super loud amp. This is something you can control in the Axe-Fx.

You talk about poweramp vs (hi-gain) preamp distortion. I love to blend the two. In real amp I choose the core of my sound in the preamp, than add flavours listening to different level and tweaking preamp distortion. In real amp, I have different output level for different preamp/poweramp balance. With axefx it is possible to match them in level.
If I were L6, I'll model the tube amp on chosen magic balance, not on crancked master.

You could be right. Blending preamp distortion and power amp distortion is more of a Marshall thing IMO. Most modern metal amps have power amps that don't distort at all like Mesa f.ex. since they are all about preamp distortion. In the end these are all taste issues. Personally I feel like power amp distortion is a bit out of control and loose. Depends on the amp ofcourse. You can't get a Marshall crunchy without distorting the power amp.

Personally I feel like power amp distortion is a bit out of control and loose.

I agree. Poweramp distortion is known to warm up, fatten up tone... it smooths out attack, add harmonics. I remember a post from Cliff stating poweramp emulation is a bit on the "smooth attack", not too quick, because he like this way. To my hears, some of the axefx poweramp (v10) emulation could be less loose.

Back
Top Bottom