Clark Kent: Nickelback Dual Recto Clip [PRESET]

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
I usually don't tweak much but this time I had some Dual Recto Rev G preamp signal which I was trying to nail with just the amp block. I finally got it extremely close and suddenly felt like playing Nickelback because it had that "stereotypical" Dual Recto thing going on. Definitely not too gainy but modern US rock in your face massiveness. :D

Most of the tweaking was to match the low res frequency with the real thing and amounts. If I touch any of the knobs even a little bit like f.ex. add treble then the low end changes to something else. Right now it's "correct" when compared to the real Rev G slave out clips that I have.

Let me know how it works for you! :)

EDIT: Cab is obviously from Cab Pack 7!

Attachments

• CK7 REV G 2015.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 177
Sounds very close to the original. What IR of the CP7 used here?

It's actually a mix that I did and I don't really remember what's in there. IIRC it's R121, SM57 and MD421 IRs but which of them... can't remember.. I'll create a new one that's good and post the recipe. :)

That's probably how the riff sounded like before it got to the mixing desk ;D

The Nickelback guitars seem to find their place in the mix amazingly, if you ever get them solo'd i'm sure they'd sound weird as all hell.
Mids and bass sucked out, cut off well down around 6khz, and there is some frequency in the hi mids that gets cranked to get that really knarly tone. It almost sounds like that song in particular has some extra saturation planted on it. Reminds of what would happen if you chucked decapitator on it. Maybe that's the trick ; )

Might have to find out what that is. I'd hate to hear my guitars like that, but would love them like that in a mix! :D

That's probably how the riff sounded like before it got to the mixing desk ;D

The Nickelback guitars seem to find their place in the mix amazingly, if you ever get them solo'd i'm sure they'd sound weird as all hell.
Mids and bass sucked out, cut off well down around 6khz, and there is some frequency in the hi mids that gets cranked to get that really knarly tone. It almost sounds like that song in particular has some extra saturation planted on it. Reminds of what would happen if you chucked decapitator on it. Maybe that's the trick ; )

Might have to find out what that is. I'd hate to hear my guitars like that, but would love them like that in a mix! :D

Yeah definitely. I have some Nickelback stems and althought those guitars sound amazing in a mix they just sound so weird soloed. It's like the bass is probably 80% of that massive sound in their mix.

You mean Canadian rock. Americans don't want people thinking we produced that band.

Haha I know you guys hate that band. Sadly it's the biggest rock band at the moment. I'm just happy that there's a place for rock music on the charts nowadays. Apart from the lyrics that band used be pretty good back in the day. I heard some of that new album they put out that sounded like Justin Bieber with Chad Kroeger on vocals. WTF happened? Anyways... lyrics about BJs in a car and beating up guys for looking at your girlfriend are a bit... 5th grade if you ask me but damn they have a few good riffs.

Haha I know you guys hate that band. Sadly it's the biggest rock band at the moment. I'm just happy that there's a place for rock music on the charts nowadays. Apart from the lyrics that band used be pretty good back in the day. I heard some of that new album they put out that sounded like Justin Bieber with Chad Kroeger on vocals. WTF happened? Anyways... lyrics about BJs in a car and beating up guys for looking at your girlfriend are a bit... 5th grade if you ask me but damn they have a few good riffs.

Yeah man, I really like Nickelback.
Chad's lyrics can be really simple and direct but a lot of his lyrics are really relatable and about stuff in real life.
The productions and mixes are just amazing.
The guitar sounds for The Long Road are really huge and sound great on their own actually, there is one song with a solo'd intro, 'Throw Yourself Away' I believe?
Dual amp tones, huge tones but still also huge drums, bass and vocals.
Randy Staub productions rock!
I'm not too big a fan of the new record although there are some cool songs on it, I agree on the Bieber part.
I also wouldn't be surprised if they'll switch too 100% Axe FX's soon.

Mesa Rig Sample

Download the Rig here (Right click the link and save the file)

Nice Tone CK! I made a rig of this preset. I used this as the rhythm tone. Clean and slightly breaking clean tones are made by me. The idea of the rig is taken from Cooper Carters video. I use some PEQ before and after the amp, to make the tones pop up little more. It is just a slight tweak, but it counts. Check it out. ;) The tracks on that clip have no post processing (well master glue compressor on the master track), but that's all. I think that guitars sit very well in the mix.

Mesa Rig Sample

Download the Rig here (Right click the link and save the file)

Nice Tone CK! I made a rig of this preset. I used this as the rhythm tone. Clean and slightly breaking clean tones are made by me. The idea of the rig is taken from Cooper Carters video. I use some PEQ before and after the amp, to make the tones pop up little more. It is just a slight tweak, but it counts. Check it out. ;) The tracks on that clip have no post processing (well master glue compressor on the master track), but that's all. I think that guitars sit very well in the mix.

That sounds great! Reminds me of Deftones while not sounding like Deftones at all. :D

Reactions: DTS
Thanks for sharing Clark, as always. I must admit, I am not a fan of that band whatsoever. The funny part is that I have no clue why. I'd sell out in a sec for the amount of cheddar they make haha

Thanks for sharing Clark, as always. I must admit, I am not a fan of that band whatsoever. The funny part is that I have no clue why. I'd sell out in a sec for the amount of cheddar they make haha

I like their tone. Not their songs. :D Definitely not on any of my playlists either.

I like their tone. Not their songs. :D Definitely not on any of my playlists either.

I'm the farthest thing from a Nickle Back fan but I cannot to help but to dig, "Saturday Nights Alright (For Fighting)"... even though it's an Elton John song. And maybe that's exactly why... :D

PS: Sorry didn't mean to derail.

Back
Top Bottom