Clark Kent: Main Rhythm Tone Hunt (Mark IV, Über)

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
I've been really pleased with my rhythm tone and I'm really getting where I want it to be. Three different tones here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?xdefznvnljn

1) Mark IV w/ Cali cab (0:00-0:36) <--- full, warm, beefy, clear, tight, the s*it?
2) Mark IV w/ Redwirez Metal Experiment capedge 4in MIXED Redwirez Recto M160 4in capedge (0:36-1:03)
3) Überscheisse w/ the same RW content (1:03-end)

1) is my main rhythm tone and I'm really pleased with it. It's just COMP AMP PEQ CAB. If someone tells me how to upload SYX patches I'll upload it here.
2) probably my last try with redwirez... they are really nice but if there is a god I'm sure he had something to do with the Cali cab... divine
3) the redwirez cabs work a bit better with some other amps... but the cali works perfect with all amps ;)

I'll add the Chevelle's easy-to-play-with trick to my main tone and it's ready to gig FOH. (it will reduce some fizzyness)

You where able to mix a metal experiment IR with another one? How? I get a lot of phase issues by doing this.

Hey Clark, are you trying to fill the entire first page of the Recordings forum with all your stuff? :mrgreen:

The cali cab is a stock cab in the Axe-Fx. "CALI 4x12" which is the smaller Mesa cab that has a tighter bass than the Recto cabs. F.ex. Petrucci, Chevelle etc. use it in real life. It's meant to be used with Stiletto and Mark series. I think it's the best IR out there so USE IT!

yek said:
Hey Clark, are you trying to fill the entire first page of the Recordings forum with all your stuff? :mrgreen:

You got me! :lol: Nah... I was up all night for some reason and tested a million different things. Sadly enough I only posted 2-3 clips when I really recorded about 10 clips. There were people asking for clips with some of those IRs so that was the reason I posted them. Also I like to get feedback... WHICH I NEVER GET! :evil:

I hate to pimp my stuff :ugeek: , but if the oversized Recto cab is too loose for your taste, you might want to try the Uberkab V30. It's more defined without being raspy, and has a tighter bottom end. The V30-T75 mixes included have more low-end, too, if you find yourself wanting more thump.

If you're happy with the stock Cali cab, though, then go for it.

redwire said:
I hate to pimp my stuff :ugeek: , but if the oversized Recto cab is too loose for your taste, you might want to try the Uberkab V30. It's more defined without being raspy, and has a tighter bottom end. The V30-T75 mixes included have more low-end, too, if you find yourself wanting more thump.

If you're happy with the stock Cali cab, though, then go for it.

I am pretty happy with the Cali cab but it's a got a huge amount of fizz. It's really easy to cut away in a mixing situation but not with the Axe... but that's just FOH... and no one can probably hear it when the whole band is playing. I actually cut the fizz with a de-esser. (Linkin Park has been using this trick for ages)

I've thought about buying the Uberkab V30. I'm pretty sure it's "the bomb". The Cali is so close to what I'm after that I'm not sure if the Uber is going to replace it if I buy it. So that's why I haven't bought it. Is there a way to taste the Uberkab?

I'm still working on the new ConvolovBot! but give it a try for a couple weeks and if it's not what you're looking for, I will refund your money.

Clark Kent said:
I've been really pleased with my rhythm tone and I'm really getting where I want it to be. Three different tones here:

I'll add the Chevelle's easy-to-play-with trick to my main tone and it's ready to gig FOH. (it will reduce some fizzyness)

What do you mean by Chevelle's easy-to-play trick?

Thanks for posting the clips. Very nice metal tone - I think they are all great, just a matter of personal preference.

Can you tell us about your guitar (type, pickups, string gauge, etc.). These things make a huge difference in how the tone translates in the AxeFx? Thanks alot.

Ventanaman said:
Thanks for posting the clips. Very nice metal tone - I think they are all great, just a matter of personal preference.

Can you tell us about your guitar (type, pickups, string gauge, etc.). These things make a huge difference in how the tone translates in the AxeFx? Thanks alot.

I've been using my two PRS guitars which both have the HFS Treble and Vintage Bass pickups (which rock!). The other one is a Custom 24 Navarro and the other one is a really old CE-24 from the time they used alder as wood. The older guitar has a thinner neck than my Custom 24 which is "Wide Thin" (the thinnest they produce nowaways). The CE is closer to a strat and the Custom 24 is closer to Les Paul tone-wise. Gauge depends on the tuning but my strings are always Ernie Ball and usually as thin as possible. For lower tunings I use the "Heavy Bottom" set. I like to have a 9 as a high E.

For this clip I used the old PRS but I prefer the Custom 24. I also have a Petrucci 7-string but it has DiMarzio pickups (yuck!) so I don't like to use it anymore.

Back
Top Bottom