clarification - system requirements.

paulmapp8306

Fractal Fanatic
Get my AFX2 early Jan - and wanted to clarify something. From reading the information available, I believe I cant use he AFX2 as an interface with my music PC.

Its an AMD 3500 Athlon processor, single core, runnin at 2.2Ghz. oporating system is Windows XP.

From what I understand, the AFX2 needs a dual core processor to work?

That would be be a dissapointment, I do have a dual core Intel i5 laptop -but thats not used for music. my PC is more than capable or running pro-tools (7.23 actually) for my music and its rock solid. i had initially intended to use reaper for AFX stuff (as the MBox is required for 7.3 - I can use the AFX for audio but not for re-amping etc) then import that into PT to work with. If I need to put a completed track into reaper to re-amp that would be fine - BUT I wanted to use the same hardware - ie the same computer. Having to use the laptop would probably mean I would only use the AFX2 the same way I use my standard - ie not for re-amping or as an interface.

Where are you getting your info, Paul?

I think you'll be fine, unless proven otherwise by documentation, release notes, etc. I've never seen a sound card/device that requires the CPU to be a dual core. This may be the case... but I've never seen it.

from the manual

2.3.1 Minimum Requirements
Windows Minimum Requirements:
 OS: Windows XP SP3 (x86 or x64), Vista SP2 (x86 or x64), Windows 7 SP1 (x86 or x64).
 CPU: Intel Core 2 @1.6 GHz or better, or AMD equivalent.
 Memory: 512MB minimum.
 Chipset: January 2006 or newer. See List of Intel chipsets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for details.
 USB 1.0 systems provide 2×2 audio I/O only. USB 2.0 or better systems provide 2×4.
Mac Minimum Requirements:
 OS X: 10.4.2 (Tiger) or later
 10.4 (USB Audio 1.x) 2×2 audio in and out + bidirectional MIDI.
 10.5+ (USB Audio 1.x and 2.0) 2×4 audio in and out + bidirectional MIDI.
 CPU: Intel Core 2 @1.6 GHz or better, or PPC equivalent.
 Memory: 512MB minimum
 Notes: Technically, for both Windows and OS X, when running a compatible OS (above) and compatible USB
2.0 (high-speed) hardware (mainboard, hub, cables, etc.), USB Audio 2.0 works for all supported operating
systems. When only USB 1.x is available via OS or hardware, the Axe-Fx II USB will revert to 1.x (full-speed)
mode, and the “dry” channel pair will not be available.

The Intel Core 2 processors can be single, dual or quad. It doesn't say specifically which type is required for the Axe-Fx II... you should be fine in that respect. The next question is to determine if your AMD processor is equivalent.

I also have a question: does it have to be a Core 2 processor or can it just meet the 1.6GHz requirement. I also think my chipset is older. Does this mean I just can't record on my home computer or does it also preclude me from connecting it via USB and transferring presets between the Axe-Fx and Axe-Edit.

I think that is the minimum.. so that folks don't try to run it on an older 633MHz Athlon/Celeron based PC (or older PPC Mac).

I've been running AxeEdit (from prior to 0.8.29 up thru 1.0.248) on XP32, XP64 and Win7x64 for over the last 2 yrs, on Intel Pentium4 and now AMD Phenom II 1055T X6 (6core) cpu's.
USB 2.0 will definitely be faster than USB 1, but other than that Paul, I think you will be fine.

Its the Dual core spec that has me worried. Axe Edit works fine - but for the USB functionality/using the AFX as a sound card etc I wasnt sure how "minimum" that spec was.

My machine is an AMD Athlon 3500+ - which I believe is a single core processor running at around 2.2GHz. The 3500+ I believe was to make it easier to directly compare it to Intel chips. That is the 3500+ while running at a core speed of 2.2GHz, gave a similar performance to a 3.5GHz single core Intel chip. Something to do with bus speeds and processor architecture. Either was it was the last (and most powerfull) AMD chip before they switched to dual core - hence why Im not sure if the AFX2 will run with all its functions.

Its the Dual core spec that has me worried. Axe Edit works fine - but for the USB functionality/using the AFX as a sound card etc I wasnt sure how "minimum" that spec was.
Again, I'm not sure it's a major deal and you may be "over thinking" the whole thing, tho' I do understand where you are coming from.
Like Clarky stated, it will either work or not.

AE should run fine. If you are concerned about the 2x4 Audio over USB 2.0, I'm going to have to pass on that. I do not know what the limitations are. I know the 4x4 version overloaded the interface, which is why we have 4x2 for now.

If you only have USB 1.0 on yours, then the max you can get will be 2x2 Audio, which should be OK for most needs.
The USB specs - by the numbers - support the audio streams, but reality is a little different.
MIDI you should be fine. For Audio (reamping etc.) I think you're going to have to try it first!

Back
Top Bottom