Clapton's Bluesbreaker loaded with G12M or Alnico??

Gene

Inspired
I have just been reading a post from a forum regarding Clapton's 2x12 Bluesbreaker combo.

It seems some folk are convinced he had to be using a bluesbreaker loaded with 2x Celestion Alnico speakers. The reissue Bluesbreaker has 2 x G12Ms. Here is the link to thread:

https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?177678-Original-Bluesbreaker-What-Speakers

There is no 2x12 G12M IR in the cab list at the moment but Celestion IR do one on it's own or part of a G12M pack.
If Clapton's Bluesbreaker had Alnico in it any idea of the model and wattage, silver, blue etc???

What do you reckon???

G12M's are greenbacks. There's several stock greenback IR's but I think they're all 4x12's (closed back). Maybe try the Vox AC type 2x12 IR's with Celestion Blues and Silvers (Top boost or Class A). That's an open back 2x12 combo cab that might be close.

Bluesbreaker is pretty much a JTM 45 in combo form with a tremolo circuit. They seem to break up a bit sooner than the JTM45, maybe because the extra tube for the tremolo circuit loads the power section a bit more. You could maybe lower the B+ voltage a touch and bump up the sag a bit in the advanced parameters. The open back 2x12 is looser and less efficient than the typical closed back 4x12 used with the JTM45 as well so they have a little different vibe.

G12M's are greenbacks. There's several stock greenback IR's but I think they're all 4x12's (closed back). Maybe try the Vox AC type 2x12 IR's with Celestion Blues and Silvers (Top boost or Class A). That's an open back 2x12 combo cab that might be close.

Bluesbreaker is pretty much a JTM 45 in combo form with a tremolo circuit. They seem to break up a bit sooner than the JTM45, maybe because the extra tube for the tremolo circuit loads the power section a bit more. You could maybe lower the B+ voltage a touch and bump up the sag a bit in the advanced parameters. The open back 2x12 is looser and less efficient than the typical closed back 4x12 used with the JTM45 as well so they have a little different vibe.
Yeah, probably as close as I'll get.
I wonder which speakers were actually in the amp, who knows?

Well I just tried the Celestion 2x12 blue, open back IR. Hi-Gain, All mic's + Room, mono mix and it sounds great with the JTM45 + @mr_fender 's suggested tweaks. I added a little variac for good measure and used the Super OD to push the front end a bit too (and a LP w/PAF's of course).

Back
Top Bottom