Clapton using Dumble ODS

Hi,
thought it would be interesting to try and get a Clapton tone out of the ODS in my Fx3 with the same settings in the picture of Claptons Dumble. As I’m relatively new to the Fractal world do the amp settings on the real amps line to the same on the Fractal’s? I’m also not sure what the speaker is in the cab, it could be an EV12L or a G1265. Any help would be really appreciate. Unfortunately I don’t as yet have a clip of the tone he got so it’s very tricky not having a sound example. He was using it in 2013 in Atalanta as far as I kno.

Attachments

• 114B9F3A-3DF0-4D39-A4D0-9112C1FAB997.jpeg
    114B9F3A-3DF0-4D39-A4D0-9112C1FAB997.jpeg
    170.5 KB · Views: 79
Basically every Dumble is different and even production model amplifiers are all different because of parts tolerances. You could use his settings as a starting point, but ultimately you should use your ears and make adjustments until it sounds good to you. I would start at the stock settings or at the settings you see on Clapton's amp, find a cab that sounds best at those settings, then make the final tweaks to get the tone and feel where you want.

Not necessarily, but they might be close. This is due to the tolerances of component parts in physical amplifiers having some variances, so no two actual physical amplifiers at the same settings sound exactly the same, but you might get in the ballpark, and then tweak it from there.

Also, sometimes Fractal Audio amplifier controls might have a slightly different taper on the knob twisting as well. I recommend you check out Yek's Guide to the Fractal Audio Amp Models for some fantastic information about every amplifier, comparisons with the real thing, cab selection advice, etc.

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Yeks_Guide_to_the_Fractal_Audio_Amp_Models

Last edited:
Brilliant guys thanks so much I’ll check those suggestions out. Loving the Fractal fx3, I came from using a Helix and just love the way the fx3 feels and sound.

Brilliant guys thanks so much I’ll check those suggestions out. Loving the Fractal fx3, I came from using a Helix and just love the way the fx3 feels and sound.
Welcome aboard the tone train! I used the ADA MP-1 for 20 years, switched over to an Eleven Rack for a year, and then started with the AXE FX II 12 years ago, then added an AX8 for my small rig, and now I have my III and my FM9, which just replaced my AX8. Sold all of my regular amps, and am never going back!

There are lots of great forum members here that are so helpful - love this place, and I check it every day!

It will only get better for you, friend. There is a learning curve with Fractal products, but you don't have to be an expert on the device to get great tone. So much of the fun with these units for me is making those little discoveries that take my tone or process to the next level. It feels like getting a new piece of gear all over again each time. If you want a great in-depth course on the getting the most out of the unit, I cannot recommend Cooper Carter's Master Class enough. He builds touring rigs for national acts like Maroon 5 and Dream Theater. He's an excellent teacher and will help you get the most out of the unit immediately. Good luck!

Right - I have 2 different rigs, but most of my patches are interchangeable, and I just got my FM9 this month. AXE FX III for my main band, and FM9 for my AC/DC Tribute Band, and at church!
It will only get better for you, friend. There is a learning curve with Fractal products, but you don't have to be an expert on the device to get great tone. So much of the fun with these units for me is making those little discoveries that take my tone or process to the next level. It feels like getting a new piece of gear all over again each time. If you want a great in-depth course on the getting the most out of the unit, I cannot recommend Cooper Carter's Master Class enough. He builds touring rigs for national acts like Maroon 5 and Dream Theater. He's an excellent teacher and will help you get the most out of the unit immediately. Good luck!
Thanks so much for welcome and for the advice. Already I’m discovering so many things which I agree it makes it so much fun and interesting as well as playing a great sounding bit of kit.

Is Clapton still using those active Strat pickups?
I believe he’s using the Fender noiseless which I didn’t like, I prefer is old set up in the 90s with his John Surh built Fender low powered twin amps and the Soldano rigs with Lace Sensor gold pickups and mid boost plus tax tone control.

Clapton's signature Fender amp is tweaked to sound the way he wants it when everything is at 7.
I hope it wasn’t expensive. Setting Fender volume to 7 is just about always where they sound best. That’s why you needed every vintages model…: to match the venue.

Back
Top Bottom