Circuit Models for Pickups

Kind of blew my mind a while back when I finally learned that the magnet's job is only to temporarily magnetize the strings by proximity. I never really thought of it from that perspective before. The magnet's own field doesn't really interact with the coil since it's attached and can't move relative to it. It's the moving temporary magnetic fields of the strings that interact with the coil and produce the signal voltage. If you could somehow make a string out of a permanently magnetic material (in the correct orientation), the pickup wouldn't even need a magnet to work. 🤯

Last edited:
It would be possible with the axe shape the input eq in a more specific way in order to match specific pickups?

I've wondered about that. You wouldn't be able to model the exact details of the "aperture" of the pickup in the sense of how much of the string it sees, but you could play games with the frequency response in terms of the "circuit" nature of the pickup. I'd imagine that one could apply a combined EQ curve consisting of two curves -- one to "flatten" the response of whatever the actual pickup you are using is, and then one to induce the frequency response of the target pickup.

I've wondered about that. You wouldn't be able to model the exact details of the "aperture" of the pickup in the sense of how much of the string it sees, but you could play games with the frequency response in terms of the "circuit" nature of the pickup. I'd imagine that one could apply a combined EQ curve consisting of two curves -- one to "flatten" the response of whatever the actual pickup you are using is, and then one to induce the frequency response of the target pickup.
Yeah there are some mooer products for example that do.. I honestly dont know how accurate but they do..

Back
Top Bottom