Cigarette smell in used Axe-Fx II

Picked up a used Axe FX II XL+ and it reeks of cigarettes. Anybody have a safe strategy to remove cigarette smell from delicate digital gear like this?

Picked up a used Axe FX II XL+ and it reeks of cigarettes. Anybody have a safe strategy to remove cigarette smell from delicate digital gear like this?

I bought a used Explorer case and it just reeked of cigarette smoke. I was able to get rid of it by using a few applications of this Lysol product.

http://www.lysol.ca/en/our-products/disinfectant-sprays/lysol-disinfectant-spray-green-apple/

Try spraying some onto a soft cloth, then wiping the unit down. May take a few applications, but it should work.

The cigarette smoke settles on everything, every crevice. Depends on how much it bothers you, I'd imagine you can disassemble the case and clean most of it. I've cleaned plenty of electronics with isoproyl alcohol. Just make sure you remove any batteries, headsinks, etc. Any thermal paste or anything like that will need to be reapplied. I've done this with computer motherboards, I don't see the Axe-fx any differently.

You can make an argument for smoke damage. You generally only have to prove exposure to smoke not current damage. The item was also not described as “reeks like smoke” like it does. Total mischaracterization of the item IMO. This is assuming it was purchased from Reverb or somewhere reasonably legit. An uphill battle for sure though.

People can and have tried to claim any number of reasons for a return. I just don’t know if smoke smell is a valid one...

I had an old Princeton amp, smelled of smoke, and no surprise given it was like 50 years old and probably saw a lot of smoke filled bars etc. still worked fine..... could I have opened a dispute saying it smelled like smoke ? Sure, but is it a valid complaint for a return of an otherwise working amp ?

Perhaps the seller should acknowledge they are a smoker, but perhaps a buyer should also ask if it’s important to them? Not sure what the proper thing to do is.....

I would think if you thoroughly clean the lcd & case only, inside and out that you would remove a great % of the smell......

It was a Craigslist buy and in perfect working order and condition otherwise. Not hugely bothered by it in an active sense. I have to stick my face right next to it to even smell it, but I know it's there... :(

Wondering if a fan replacement might help since it likely has tar on the fan primarily.

In my experience most smokers don't even notice the cigarette stench they live in any more. So I wouldn't be surprised if it hadn't registered consciously with the seller.

I've had a few items like this and the fastest way would be to place it outside in the shade for as long as you can. Next best would be in a garage or next to a window with a fan blowing on it. The smell will eventually go away, it just takes time, but there needs to fresh air circulating in and around it.

Back
Top Bottom