Chris Cornell..... :(

For those of us who are older, this is a depressingly common thing now. I get it, we are mortal and all that. This is especially saddening though that he suffered from a curable disease, or malady, or whatever you want to call it. Depression is curable.

While it might not be appropriate, I'm vaguely angry at him for not getting help. He will be missed.

While it might not be appropriate, I'm vaguely angry at him for not getting help. He will be missed.

Right there with ya Ron, it's sad to see such prominent figures choose this path. The level of empathy shifts widely once these actions leading to a suicide are confirmed, it reminds me of Robin Williams at the level of shock over this event.

To be clear, this man was one of the primary reasons I play guitar today and was always jealous of his voice. No one will ever sound like him... The first time I heard "Spoonman", I needed to know how to play guitar that well (at the time) right next to Crazy Train with RR.

Such a sad story, he was doing great things in all aspects of his life.

i think the "grunge" era is severely underrated for its melodic content, chord progressions, time signatures, and overall creativity. when i perform the songs acoustically, and slightly rearranged for solo guitar and singing, people are usually surprised at how "nice" the songs are - well they've been that nice this whole time! i think the average person - perhaps a slightly older average - is just immediately turned off by distortion sounds and won't listen to anything past that.

Burden in my hand was a top favourite for me. I remember trying to learn it 20+ years ago and being really confused as it was the first ever strangely tuned song I came across. Also I could never play it because I didn't understand about string gauges and tension but the thought was there....I made it cool, in my head.

Shame on me but I had never heard of Temple Of The Dog. Now playing ... what a great record that is.

That's one of my all time favorite albums. I always wanted to be able to solo on guitar with as much emotion as Chris' voice from that album.

man this is hitting me way harder than i thought it might. :( now with the actual cause, it's just much sadder.

I feel the same way. I haven't been this sad since Dimebag died. I actually was introduced to Soundgarden and Pantera at the same time. I know they're completely different styles of music but they had a big impact on me. Chris Cornell had a huge impact on me bc he was an amazing musician. He could play drums, guitar and sing. His rhythm, song structures and vocal melodies are just amazing.

I feel the same way. I haven't been this sad since Dimebag died. I actually was introduced to Soundgarden and Pantera at the same time. I know they're completely different styles of music but they had a big impact on me. Chris Cornell had a huge impact on me bc he was an amazing musician. He could play drums, guitar and sing. His rhythm, song structures and vocal melodies are just amazing.

He was simply said, the man. I even liked his "different" stuff on Scream. This one gets stuck in your head and makes you want to scream at the top of yo' head:

I heard the news on the radio this morning... So unexpected on many levels.

I didn't really get into Chris until Audio Slave although I was familiar enough with the well known Soundgarden tunes (Black Hole Sun, Rusty Cage, etc) and some of the Temple of the Dog stuff (in particular, Hungry).

After getting the first Audio Slave album I really realized that this guy was THE rock voice of our generation! He had power, beauty, great note choices, great lyrics... And charisma oozing out like mad!

To me, he was like combining the best parts of Ronnie James Dio and Robert Plant.

It fucking sucks that he passed... But it make it worse that it was at his own hand. It's just sad :cry:

So sorry for his family, friends and the legion of fans.

Suicide. Yeah , great. What a let down. We will see if a story unfolds with details that might clue us in , as to why he felt this was his only choice. Maybe there's a dark secret that no one has taken into account.
Terrible.

Back
Top Bottom