Chorus for Lead

kipstryker

Inspired
I guess i just don't have the ear for this. I'm sure I'm hearing it on nice tones from the likes of lukather, Rothery etc, but when I add it to my stock leads I'm not feeling it. I've tried a pitch block detune and the rotary as well as the chorus options. Just seems too much or not enough if that makes sense.
Clean tones, no problem.
I'd welcome thoughts or suggestions on settings. Thanks guys.

I've started doing this on lead parts live, basically because Zakk does it (or so I've read)

Started out with a basic digital mono chorus, dialled the mix back to 30% or so, and it sounded pretty good when I did a gig with it. I'm sure it could be tweaked to something better but the idea works well.

I agree with @SteveFireland there. Use some restraint when adding effects to overdriven tones and you'll find a little can take you a long way. Then, when you do pile it on for a Trower or Gilmour tone, it really dazzles.

I grew up loving Zakk’s leads on the No More Tears album

I don’t like chorus when I’m playing usually but the 80/90s child in me recalls it fondly

I always loved the boss rt20 rotary pedal. Didn’t sound at all like a Leslie, but did a great emulation of Gilmour’s a200 rotating speaker, just give that washed out slow chorus sound

I also like the Dimension D for lead tones. Still mix it fairly low most of the time, but every now,and then it can even work mixed in a little higher.

One of the things that made me go back to the UAD stuff on me DAW was their Dimension D emulation. I love the stereo imaging on vocal tracks.

I use the Micro pitch detune as a 'chorus' for lead sounds...even for chords , clean & overdriven....Van Halen style....:D

Chorus is 'wobbly' sounding while the Detune is tight :)

Back
Top Bottom