Wish Chorus dry/wet pan

Jan Geerts

Experienced
Inspired by, yes, the CE1 again, it would be nice to pan the dry and wet signals L and R, Jazz120 stylee.

And a CE1 would be nice too

True, but I wouldn't mind having a dry balance control in any blocks with a mix control. It would simplify routing & setup when you want a bypass switch for that effect and a normal centered dry tone when it's off.
It'd be nice to have it in the block, but I can see a lot of user error here as people run it into a single AMP block not realizing that it's summing L+R by default or only dealing with L or R channels.

Add a single MUX to the preset above and you’ll get one button bypass with the ability to collapse to mono on bypass.

Wet/dry panning in every effect block would be interesting and useful but I also suspect a big topology overhaul.

Edit: and if it comes with a CPU increase on the effects blocks it seems like a pretty high cost to pay for the feature. Rolling it yourself ensures the CPU cost is limited to the people who really care to use effects in this manner. And it's effect independent.

Last edited:
+1 for the request.

Regarding possible user-error: users have to learn how (for instance) the cab block channels and cab slots work for mono/stereo operation, why not let them learn how the amp block works too? They'd have the same mono-collapsing problem if they tried placing the routing example you provided before an amp block... or for that matter, even just using the chorus block alone as it is, and trying to use the Stereo Spread and Balance controls. I don't think having one more panning control in the block would be any more confusing.

It'd be nice to have it in the block, but I can see a lot of user error here as people run it into a single AMP block not realizing that it's summing L+R by default or only dealing with L or R channels.

Add a single MUX to the preset above and you’ll get one button bypass with the ability to collapse to mono on bypass.

Wet/dry panning in every effect block would be interesting and useful but I also suspect a big topology overhaul.

Mux?

Yup

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Multiplexer_block

And then assign a switch to the MUX to change channels. One channel selects the row that merges the L/R chorus/dry signal, another row has just plain old dry guitar straight down the middle. Like this:

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 1.36.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 1.37.10 PM.png

You can also do this with a single modifier attached the the bypass state of the blocks plus the PAN parameter on the VOL/PAN block, but the MUX approach is easier.

If you want to do this with chorus in front the amp, you need two AMP blocks to preserve the stereo signal.

Last edited:
why not let them learn how the amp block works too?

What is this "learn" you speak of?

Kidding aside, to reduce user confusion and support, it might be easy in grid view (on unit and in AE) indicate mono vs. stereo via one or both of:
  • Small indicators on the input and output side of each block, e.g. single dot for mono or two dots for stereo
  • Shunt line-style: mono->mono: ------, mono->stereo: ---===, stereo->mono: ===---, stereo->stereo: ======
Of course some internal block types are "mono" (like mono delay) but they still pass stereo through. Also cabs are sum to mono or stereo depending on input mode so there is some ambiguity but could be largely clarified in the rendering of connections/blocks.

Back
Top Bottom