Choosing Studio Monitors

Evz said:
So I demoed the dynaudios BM5 and 6 mkii's and they were pretty awesome, the 6's especially, also tried out the Neumann HK120's but I was overlooking my budget and paying over $800 seems unreasonable for a set a speakers :( but the three pairs were really nice. I didnt get a chance to try out the HS80's but it did see them, and they are definitely too large for my room... So 6" will have to do.... I have an opportunity to get some Tannoys, but no way to test them so I'd have to take them on faith.

Seems like some guys around here like the Tannoys... Which is good!

I would have bought the Dynaudios over the Tannoys if I could have afforded them. In Canada the Tannoys are ~$500 and the BM5A are $1050. Big gap.

Yea but I don't think the $1000+ is worth it for me unfortunately, I want to keep it low cost cause I'm a little cheap! Haha

Is it worth the extra cash to spring for a pair of monitor speakers in the $1000-1500 range instead of getting a pair for $500? We aren't doing mixes where critical listening is required (well, I assume most of us aren't), so does the more expensive set of speakers necessarily mean better Axe tone(s)?

Hello Friends!

i'm planning on doing some room re-arrangements, and want to send my QSC's to the basement to stay with my cabs/ amps/ essentially everything that is not axe-fx, and keep my axe-fx in my office, for jam purposes etc, maybe some little recording, and i want to get a pair of monitors to go with my mac. I'm planning on using a MOTU traveller interface as my audio I/O for the monitors + Axe. Now i have several options, and i really want to keep it simple and low cost.. ish, my choices are along the lines of:

KrK RP6 pair
KrK RP8 pair
KrK VXT 6 to 8
M-audio BX5 or 8
Mackie HR

along those lines of models based on whats available around, and i really don't want to spend more than $1000, and optimally $500, which is a wide range, but my application would be running axe fx and some backing tracks through computer, and light mixing. If i can get away with something around $500 (ei RP6 pair) would be lovely, was just wondering what you fine folks would recommend!

Thanks!

ps - i've had a listen to the RP6 and BX8's which is comparing apples to oranges, and obviously the 8's pumped more low end which sounded nice to me, but i heard they have horrible reliability issues, meanwhile the KrKs seems to be love/hate on the net....

Genelecs blow all of those away quite handily. it will sound like a layer of gauze has been taken off your speakers...

I bought 2 Mackie HR624 MKii' B-stock for $350 each a year ago and have had no issues at all. They blow away the 8" yamaha's (yes-did a side by side) and the LF driver in the mackie is only 6.9". I would like to know where you guys are seeing the Dynaudio BMa6 mkii' for $1000? They are $700-$750 each everywhere I look.

Which Genelecs?
ANY you can afford! They really make Yamahas, Mackies, even Tannoys sound like tin cans and string.

P.S. I've been an audio engineer since 1983 and owned a 24 track studio back then. Once I went with Jennies, I never went back, though I have tried other things (ADAM's, JBLs, Dyns, etc.) over the years just to make something better hasn't come along. So far, nothing has.

As for Yamahas, especially NS10's etc. - I think they're atrocious little hyped-high-end monsters - good for people who've lost all their high end, perhaps, but not even remotely balanced. Mackies are incredibly sloppy on transient response, as are events etc.

Bottom line: you get what you pay for.

Musician's Friend has the Adam A7X $1050 a pair. I got Guitar Center to match the deal. Really nice--slightly above your budget but this is a good deal...

Thanks for the heads up on the A7X's! I took advantage of that last night. One sales guy wouldn't let me do it without the magazine in hand so I looked up an e-copy online. I knew the page number and everything but he wanted the specific offer code. Once I had that (from the online catalog), the second sales guy had it approved but it took quite awhile on the phone. I felt like I was buying a car! Hahaha. All in all, they were very helpful though. Can't beat that deal!

I just bought a pair of Behringer B3031A monitors which I used to replace my KRK V6 Series 2's, and the difference is like night and day. The KRK's were bass dead, seemed to be very colored in the mids and the highs were harsh. The Behringers have a ribbon tweeter and the highs are nice and clear. They are also super flat in their response. Each speaker is individually tested and they include a printout of the test graph for each individual speaker with the documentation. They have phenomenal bass response as well. I can play my 5-string bass through them and they pump out the lows beautifully. They were only $502 for the pair and can get way louder than I need them to. These are 8 3/4", but they also make a 6" model that I think are $164 each. I'm really impressed with these. They also have room adjustment and low and high frequency rolloff to tune them to the room if you need to. Before, I never played through the KRK's because they just sounded horrible. These are a pleasure to play through.

Back
Top Bottom