Choosing between FM9 or FX III

Just bought the second hand FX III mark I for 2100 €, i think it's a good deal, actually from g66 you can buy only the turbo version which is 3049€, i saved some money and i think the mark I has enough power.

Thanks guys for your opinions

Hi All!
i am fractal user since 2018, i had AX8 and fm3, which now i've sold because is hould get my FM9 turbo in the next few weeks. But actually i have a doubt, due to my job i am not playing live anymore so i use fractal only at my desk, and i am quite tempted to get the FX3 instead of the FM9, the price difference is not a problem. It will be comfortable for me to put the FX3 in vertical position under my desk, maybe with a rack case. Considering a studio using only, what do you think about it?
I play blues, jazz and fusion but i really love experimenting new sounds (that's why i love fractal, you can make crazy routings in few seconds). FM3 was quite underpowered but FM9 and FX3 seems more aligned in terms of power.
Any opinion will be apprieciated.

Thanks

I'll tell you this, going from the FM3 to the FM9 felt exactly like when I went from the AX8 to the AXE FX II XL.

The FM9 is extremely powerful and convenient, to me is the perfect sweet spot for a floor modeler.

Yesterday I made some measurements and I should be able to install it on my desk in a very comfortable position with very clean routing. I will post a picture when it will arrive, should be here early next week. I hope to find an used FC12 too

I’m an FM3 owner and really love the form
factor. On the fence about upgrading to either the 9 or axe3 and after reading this thread, the axe3 would be my preference. The added cost factor is something I’m struggling with though. I would def want the fc12 and then there’s a rack case, power conditioner, and bag or case for the fc12 lol. But the heart of that being the axe would definitely provide a tremendous platform.

I’m an FM3 owner and really love the form
factor. On the fence about upgrading to either the 9 or axe3 and after reading this thread, the axe3 would be my preference. The added cost factor is something I’m struggling with though. I would def want the fc12 and then there’s a rack case, power conditioner, and bag or case for the fc12 lol. But the heart of that being the axe would definitely provide a tremendous platform.
Depending on the rack case it can be portable as is so no case or bag needed. I've personally never bothered with power conditioners but power in my country is pretty stable usually.

The FC12 is the biggest extra cost as it is very expensive, especially in EU. I think it's a good unit, just too expensive to recommend as a proprietary controller that can't double as a MIDI controller so it would have utility value with non-Fractal gear too.

I have an AX8 and a soon to be on the market FM3 and FC6, and since buying an AXE FX III and an FC 12 I have never been as satisfied with my tones and psyched to play. Like others have said, there are so many options with this set up and the firmware updates have been flying fast and furious since I bought the unit earlier this year. I just started gigging again, and in an SKB rack case it's still light and easy to transport. I'd go with the AXE FX III and whatever controller works best for you.

Hey, I don't think anyone's gonna make that decision for you. Anyway - I have 4 Fractal units in my studio. I like to use the Axe-Fx III the most due to the fact that it has TMA. I use it every day and it's really fun. It may be a small thing for some, but in my opinion it's the best feature that FM9 doesn't have. So if I were you, I would buy the Axe-Fx III.

IMG_3518.JPG

In the U.S. I would be tempted to buy the III and FC12. Over here in Europe it’s just more money than I am willing to pay. The FM3 was slightly underpowered for my needs so I will buy the FM9. I just like the form factor and it has more power than I will ever need.

I've had my "needs" change so often that the AxeFx III makes the most sense. I currently have a FM3 and recently received my invitation to pick up a FM9, but I'm leaning hard toward waiting a bit and getting the AxeFx III. It seems like the no compromise solution.

Back
Top Bottom