Choosing between FM9 or FX III

I saw this: the power of the FM9 is more or less half of the FX III, i was thinking that the gap was less.....i will probably go with the FX III.

The FM9 is no slouch, and the difference, besides the raw computing power, isn't that much, especially with the latest (today's) release of the new FM9 firmware. Only if you need something that's missing would you notice because the FM9 sounds amazing… as does the FM3.

I'd pick purely based on the convenience of your situation. The FM9 on a desk takes up about the same amount of space as the FX3, but, the FX3 can be rack mounted, either on a desk stand, or to sit next to the desk in a separate desk, or a small unit for the FX3 only. Mine sits beside my desk on top of a small chest of drawers and is in a little road case for when I get a wild hair and want to take it with me somewhere. The FM units definitely shine for travel as I have dedicated bags for them.

I recommend the FC12 if you go with the FX3. Even at home it is convenient.

I'm gonna tell you to get the the Axe FX III instead, but only so my name comes up faster for the FM9 Turbo :D

I have the Axe FX III mk2 (non-turbo) and I max out my CPU on my kitchen sink preset. I know I won't be able to do as much with the FM9, but I'd like a portable rig. I still have my AX8, which sounds good, but just isn't up to snuff with my Axe FX III. The bit less of power I'll have with the FM9 will be worth the lack of needing to lug a rack case in addition to my FC12 (comparable to the FM9).

Hi All!
i am fractal user since 2018, i had AX8 and fm3, which now i've sold because is hould get my FM9 turbo in the next few weeks. But actually i have a doubt, due to my job i am not playing live anymore so i use fractal only at my desk, and i am quite tempted to get the FX3 instead of the FM9, the price difference is not a problem. It will be comfortable for me to put the FX3 in vertical position under my desk, maybe with a rack case. Considering a studio using only, what do you think about it?
I play blues, jazz and fusion but i really love experimenting new sounds (that's why i love fractal, you can make crazy routings in few seconds). FM3 was quite underpowered but FM9 and FX3 seems more aligned in terms of power.
Any opinion will be apprieciated.

Thanks
I was in your same position and I went for the Axe-Fx III…and if I’ll play live again I’ll get the FM3 that is cheaper and more portable.

I see a lot of people recommend the FM9 for live use, but I still prefer using my FX3 live instead. I gig in stereo, so for an FM9 I'd need to run three cables (power and 2 XLRs) to the front of the stage. With the FX3, I simply run a single XLR up front to my pedalbaord. (Our mixer is a Soundcraft 24r and it's placed right next to my rack at the back of the stage, so I only need two short XLR cables to connect to FOH.) Also, my FC-6 and three Mission expression pedals take up less floor space than an FM9 with just a single expression pedal. I play on a lot of small stages, so pedalboard footprint is important to me. And of course, I like getting the latest firmware updates before all the other Fractal platforms.

I see a lot of people recommend the FM9 for live use, but I still prefer using my FX3 live instead. I gig in stereo, so for an FM9 I'd need to run three cables (power and 2 XLRs) to the front of the stage. With the FX3, I simply run a single XLR up front to my pedalbaord. (Our mixer is a Soundcraft 24r and it's placed right next to my rack at the back of the stage, so I only need two short XLR cables to connect to FOH.) Also, my FC-6 and three Mission expression pedals take up less floor space than an FM9 with just a single expression pedal. I play on a lot of small stages, so pedalboard footprint is important to me. And of course, I like getting the latest firmware updates before all the other Fractal platforms.
For my main band, I'm in the same boat for you. However, for other gigs and rehearsal, the FM9 is more convenient for me. Each person's situation is different, as I'm sure you know. I would just like an Axe FX III AND an FM9 because I'd use them for different things. Plus, I'd have a backup to my FX3 that gives me some different functionality (form factor).

Although I have owned the other fractal rackmounts thru the years, I presently have the FM3 & the FM9 - works for me!
But in your case I would have to agree with many here-Go for the III

Well, with a FM9 you could leave it where your FX3 sits and plug in your current FC and pedals the same way that you do now. You would save a little weight at least.

Or, you could use the FM9+FC6 and do the OFMG15 thing with the FM9+FC6 at the front of the stage.

And you can bundle the needed cables together with zip ties or build a loom or have one built, and only drag that out. There are many ways to work with the gear.

IMG_20220815_203334.jpg

I personally could not stand having to wait for all the cool updates to be ported. I am a beta-lover (and a not-so-occasional beta gigger!)

And I carry axefx + fc12 to gigs. Yes I’d love an FM3 so I can take that in a backpack for smaller gigs, but I’m happy with my MK1.

I found a good second hand axe fx iii mark I….I am thinking to buy this one
Do it…..although until the new FM9 Turbo gets properly tested IRL by those lucky and patient waitlisters, we dont really know how much more powerful it is in comparison, but my Mark One III is rock solid and almost impossible to run out of CPU….My FM9 (first batch ) sounds more amazing than ever, but as others have mentioned , can certainly be overloaded without prudence in block usage… and it appears that the III and FM9 firmwares may be a lot closer in release time if the current trend continues.
whatever U choose, U win.

Back
Top Bottom