Choosing a bass

slinky005

Power User
Own a Mexican Precision.
Looking for a modern sounding bass.
I record instrumental rock.
My range is max 1k CAD.
How did you choose your bass?

Check out the Sire Marcus Miller and their professional line. Lots for your money there. Ibanez is another great option for <1000.

Schecter also has some really good sub-$1000 basses that work well for modern styles, quite versatile. I've been gigging their Studio Elite basses for over 15 years.

Just to add an option I bought a Cort B4 Artisan... 500 € but really good quality (I suppose in the Ibanez ballpark)
16488291_800.jpg

I have one I don't hear much about, an ESP. Tried a ton, that one felt and sounded the best to me. Still dig it. Could dig up the model number if you're interested.

EDIT: It's a B-304, 2 EMGs, 3 band EQ, neck through. Wasn't super expensive, nice.

Last edited:
I picked up an Ibanez SR505 locally for $350. I wanted a 5 string since it would likely be the only bass I'd have and bought it based upon reviews as a good intermediate level bass and the price was on the low end of what they were going for at the time. Great playing bass with a nice feeling neck and Bartolini pickups. Was immediately impressed with the tone, definitely on the modern side to my ears with a lot of EQ and tone shaping options. Compared it to an Music Man Stingray 5 we had and was impressed with everything about the Ibanez. Of course it's not equal to the Stingray - construction materials, electronics and fit-and-finish differences - but it held its own quite well for a guitar that cost 25% of a used Stingray.

about 2 years ago I was on the hunt for a bass primarily for home recording. I was looking in the $500-700 range. I looked at the Ibanez SR's etc and at first ended up with the Music man (sterling) Stringray short-scale which looked great but I couldn't jive with the string spacing. It felt very wide. Pete Thorn had a vid highly recommending his Warwick Streamer bass for rock recording I was interested in but couldn't find one local. I ended up buying this Jackson Spectra JS3Q for about $600 (CAD). Plays and sounds great. Has loads of controls. I'm very happy with it.

Attachments

• Bass1.jpg
    Bass1.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Look at the used Carvin market. They’ve made solid, sturdy, great sounding basses for decades and I’m shocked at the low prices you can find if you’re patient. Tone-wise, a MusicMan Stingray is awesome, but sub-$1000 deals are rare post Covid price-gouging.

I love my Spector Pulse-

(not mine)
iu

Stainless steel frets, ebony fingerboard, EMG's, Spector Tonepump pre-amp, roasted maple neck and it was $880 USD new, they're surely some used by now as they've been out a few years. It sounds like a Spector, it can sound huge and badass or round and chill. Two different kinds of tones below, both from the AxeFX.

(I'm not a bass player so that ain't perfect :D)

Wow. Some really great suggestions.
Havn't had time to demo any yet but after YouTubing, the Ibanez SR 3000 E looks interesting.

Back
Top Bottom