Wish Choose text of Mini-display labels

jordikt

Experienced
The mini-display labels of the FM3/FM9/FC6/FC12 shows the first 10 characters of the preset name and the scene name.

In these cases (preset name and scene name) I would like to choose the quantity of characters to show in the mini-display label, and also wich is the first character to count that quantity.

For example, a preset called "MASTER OF PUPPETS" would show "MASTER OF " in the mini-display.

I would prefer to see "PUPPETS" in the mini-display.

So, I would select only 7 characters to show, starting at character 11.

It would be easy to manage this feature in the device and in the editor, using two handlers:
-> a left handler to select the first character
-> a right handler to select the last character

The text inside the 2 handlers is the text that it will be shown in the mini-display label.

In the device itself, we could use 3 knobs: one for move the left handler, one for move the right handler, and another for scrolling all the selection to the left/right.

In the editor, we could do the same three actions with the mouse.

EDIT:

The editor would look like this:

YOU GIVE LOVE A BAD NAME.jpg

In this example, we would see "YOU GIVE LOVE A BAD NAME" in the big screens, and "BAD NAME" in the mini-display.

Last edited:
The switch would always show the same label with custom labels. The label for preset and scene switches is dynamic as you change banks or presets.

I did a wish time ago for a custom label for every preset, but I think Fractal will never implement it because it means a lot of changes and also every preset would use more memory:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/2-names-for-every-preset.181517/

I think this wish is closer to Fractal philisophy, and also easier to implement because it's a minor change for each preset.

Also this wish have the benefit of select the text to show of every preset name and every scene name

The switch would always show the same label with custom labels. The label for preset and scene switches is dynamic as you change banks or presets.
Am I mistaken that you can set the labels for Tap and Hold individually on a per-preset basis?

But just as I writing this, I realise you mean setting those stuff on every preset, basically storing 2 additional parameters. Could be put in one memory field, got it. :)

I have helped some pros with this and there's an easy solution. With so many characters for names, you can rename presets so the first ten characters are for the mini display, and the remaining 21 are for whatever you'd like.

"PUPPETS Master of Puppets 2.1"

I have helped some pros with this and there's an easy solution. With so many characters for names, you can rename presets so the first ten characters are for the mini display, and the remaining 21 are for whatever you'd like.

"PUPPETS Master of Puppets 2.1"

I agree there are solutions like this one you propose. This and other solutions is what most of us are doing nowadays.

If the preset/scene name has less than 10 characters, everything is perfect. The name is shown perfect in the mini-display, perfect in the FC6/FC12 screen, and perfect in the FM3/FM9/AXE unit.

If the preset/scene name has more than 10 characters and you are lucky, the first 10 characters will fit perfectly in the mini-display. But if you are not lucky, the name shown in the mini-display will be a not desired text. Then you have to decide what to choose:
  • a good name for the mini-display and a bad name for the preset/scene name
  • a good name for the preset/scene and a bad name for the mini-display

It would be good to write the long text we want for scene names and preset names, having the option to decide what the mini-display shows of the long text. It would be smart and useful (IMO).

Am I mistaken that you can set the labels for Tap and Hold individually on a per-preset basis?
Yes, per-preset labels are the same than the labels of the standard footswitches of the 9 layouts.

But just as I writing this, I realise you mean setting those stuff on every preset, basically storing 2 additional parameters. Could be put in one memory field, got it. :)
I don't know how it works internally. But I can speculate...:)

I suppose that now the software takes the name of the preset and the 8 scenes. These 9 text fields are analysed. If any of them have more than 10 characters, the mini-display screen shows that 10 initial characters, skipping the rest.

If FAS implement this wish, I suppose that the software will need to save a pair of values for the 9 text fields: one value for the starting character and another one for the ending character of every name. If I am right, then every preset should store 18 values of 2 integers. And the software would add 2 global variables (starting and ending character) for showing preset and scene names in the mini-display.

Back
Top Bottom