Choose Global Amps Within Presets

I've been setting up my Ultra for stage use, and have just wondered about an extra feature using the global amps. I though it would be good, since global amps are saved in the non-volatile memory, to be able to access any of them within a preset live. Then it would actually act like a 10 channel pre-amp like it says it does in the manual. I think this would be a huge help for people like me who have some cool presets that pretty much stand alone, but most of the time would use more of an amp and stomp box sort of set up. I would love to be able to have my nice pedal board with some great effects and be able to use any of my 10 global amps at will with it. I could then have different pedal boards for different bands, but not be locked to just 2 amp sounds or adding in a drive block if I don't want to. Most of the time I would rather use an amp.

It would either be a dedicated amp block, or a setting allowing global amps. If it wasn't a dedicated type of amp block, you could instead have it over ride any current amp in a preset sort of like switching on a drive pedal or boost. When you unselected it, it would revert back to the amp saved in the preset. In dual amp setups, you could possibly have linked pairs of global amps together so that the one you select would override amp1, and it's secondary would override amp2. I'm aware that that wouldn't work in some presets, but just a thought. Possibly it could be a preset by preset setting. Have the global amps available in your stomp box style presets, but not allow them in your synthy pad sort of chorusy reverby patch with the weird ringing in the background that has the multidelay being driven by the.....(you get the idea). I personally think patch by patch would be the best way to go if not a different amp block.

Personally, I would just love to be able to access the global amps singly at will. I would have say 4 or 5 buttons on my midi pedal dedicated to specific global amps so it would be more like a multichannel amp or a preamp with really high quality effects.

What do you reckon?

onemoreguitar said:
I've been setting up my Ultra for stage use, and have just wondered about an extra feature using the global amps. I though it would be good, since global amps are saved in the non-volatile memory, to be able to access any of them within a preset live. Then it would actually act like a 10 channel pre-amp like it says it does in the manual. I think this would be a huge help for people like me who have some cool presets that pretty much stand alone, but most of the time would use more of an amp and stomp box sort of set up. I would love to be able to have my nice pedal board with some great effects and be able to use any of my 10 global amps at will with it. I could then have different pedal boards for different bands, but not be locked to just 2 amp sounds or adding in a drive block if I don't want to. Most of the time I would rather use an amp.

It would either be a dedicated amp block, or a setting allowing global amps. If it wasn't a dedicated type of amp block, you could instead have it over ride any current amp in a preset sort of like switching on a drive pedal or boost. When you unselected it, it would revert back to the amp saved in the preset. In dual amp setups, you could possibly have linked pairs of global amps together so that the one you select would override amp1, and it's secondary would override amp2. I'm aware that that wouldn't work in some presets, but just a thought. Possibly it could be a preset by preset setting. Have the global amps available in your stomp box style presets, but not allow them in your synthy pad sort of chorusy reverby patch with the weird ringing in the background that has the multidelay being driven by the.....(you get the idea). I personally think patch by patch would be the best way to go if not a different amp block.

Personally, I would just love to be able to access the global amps singly at will. I would have say 4 or 5 buttons on my midi pedal dedicated to specific global amps so it would be more like a multichannel amp or a preamp with really high quality effects.

What do you reckon?
If I'm not mistaken you can already do this by having both amps feed into a mixer block and use an expression pedal to dial in between the two.

Edit: I would rather have the ability to use an expression pedal or maybe a CC(s) and be able to dial up anyone of the global amps... that way you could cycle through 10 amps instead of just two.

I think the issue with that is it will introduce clicks and pops when you change from certain amp models to others. Some of these pops can be quite loud. The Axe-fx brief mutes the amps blocks when it is switching patches to avoid this. If the muting was added to the global amps it would be no different than just switching patches to a patch with the same settings only different amps.

One CPU intensive way that the clicking/popping could be avoided: for this feature, internally use two amp blocks in place of one. One amp block A is being used while the other, B, has the same signal being put through it but its output is zeroed. When the user wants to switch to a new amp, B gets changed while the used amp A is still passing audio. Then crossfade between the two amps, and now A is unused, and it can be repeated. It's CPU intensive but it's one way of coping with it.

schnarf said:
One CPU intensive way that the clicking/popping could be avoided: for this feature, internally use two amp blocks in place of one. One amp block A is being used while the other, B, has the same signal being put through it but its output is zeroed. When the user wants to switch to a new amp, B gets changed while the used amp A is still passing audio. Then crossfade between the two amps, and now A is unused, and it can be repeated. It's CPU intensive but it's one way of coping with it.

I use that all the time, along w/ the drive block. I think the OP does as well from reading his intro paragraph.

The main difference with being able to use global amps at will and changing presets is the effect states. To do it with multiple presets I would have to have a number of identical presets (one for each amp, obviously with the amp being different in each) and have the effect states resent to the AFX with every preset change so that it actually acts like a pedal board. Maybe that's the best option. I'm still wading my way through everything this beast can do. I'm still waiting for my Liquid Foot Pro so I'm only using a FCB1010 at the moment. I'm not even sure it can do a resend. Even when I have the LFP, in my past experience resending pedal states slows down program changes significantly. My thinking was that, even with a momentary mute, changing through the global amps would be faster seeing as only one effect block is changing. I know it's the most processor heavy block, but still it's not every block.

I do already move between amp1 and amp2. I just wanted an amp with more channels. I'm basically trying to emulate something like a Boogie Road King and a pedal board without having to carry that rig around. This would be better again though, because you could actually change amps for your different channels. The Road King's separate sounds are great, but they aren't true representations of all those classic amps my Ultra has in it. It's also a hell of a lot of expensive Boogie tubes to replace. In short, IMHO the AFX can fairly easily pull any tone the Road King can....the opposite is not true. I just want more than 2 channels without having to use a drive block or 2. As good as the drive blocks are, I prefer to use different amps for different sounds in a majority of cases. That was a big reason for buying the AFX.

As I said previously, I would love to have the global amps availability set on a preset by preset basis. There are many situations where I would use different presets, but there are just as many (if not more) situations where I would use a pedal board type preset exclusively.

Any thoughts, railing accusations?

onemoreguitar said:
The main difference with being able to use global amps at will and changing presets is the effect states. To do it with multiple presets I would have to have a number of identical presets (one for each amp, obviously with the amp being different in each) and have the effect states resent to the AFX with every preset change so that it actually acts like a pedal board. Maybe that's the best option. I'm still wading my way through everything this beast can do. I'm still waiting for my Liquid Foot Pro so I'm only using a FCB1010 at the moment. I'm not even sure it can do a resend. Even when I have the LFP, in my past experience resending pedal states slows down program changes significantly. My thinking was that, even with a momentary mute, changing through the global amps would be faster seeing as only one effect block is changing. I know it's the most processor heavy block, but still it's not every block.

I do already move between amp1 and amp2. I just wanted an amp with more channels. I'm basically trying to emulate something like a Boogie Road King and a pedal board without having to carry that rig around. This would be better again though, because you could actually change amps for your different channels. The Road King's separate sounds are great, but they aren't true representations of all those classic amps my Ultra has in it. It's also a hell of a lot of expensive Boogie tubes to replace. In short, IMHO the AFX can fairly easily pull any tone the Road King can....the opposite is not true. I just want more than 2 channels without having to use a drive block or 2. As good as the drive blocks are, I prefer to use different amps for different sounds in a majority of cases. That was a big reason for buying the AFX.

As I said previously, I would love to have the global amps availability set on a preset by preset basis. There are many situations where I would use different presets, but there are just as many (if not more) situations where I would use a pedal board type preset exclusively.

Any thoughts, railing accusations?

Yes, it can resend. I use that A LOT. No, it wouldn't be faster because the majority of the brief drop out between patch changes is the amp mute. That is the bottleneck. The pedal state changes are extremely quick on the liquid foot. The liquid foot also has a global IA mode that will keep the IA states constant regardless of the presets (like a pedal board).

It would be cool if it could be implemented.

Right now the global amps can even be selected with system exclusive or the editor.

Back
Top Bottom