Chinese guitar knock-offs... opinions?

picture-026.jpg

So what you're trying to say is that people should not obey the law? Ah... now I understand why everything is so cheap when it's made in China.

If it different, why it sound same as american gibson?

Don't have the original PRS CST 24 hollowbody to compare with but I really don't care !
Of course they will sound different. My harley with the railhammer PUs has a great tone and this is awesome to have such nice guitars for the price, in addition with the pleasure to customize our own guitar...
Just have to see over the years, how do they withstand to time agressions... will see... but really not a pain !

If it different, why it sound same as american gibson?

I'm not sure if you know what that "same same but different" reference was all about but it's something that's used for describing Asian cheapo knockoffs. It's not just guitars, it starts from the cheap alcohol replaced in the bottles in bars into expensive brand bottles and all the way to selling fake handbags. They're all illegal and I don't support any of it. I don't judge you if you do, it's just not for me. I know it's a cultural difference. I've been to China, I've seen the nice looking buildings that in reality are about to collapse on the inside. Chinese car manufacturers take pride in creating the "Dongfeng Crazy Soldier" (Hummer knockoff) and "Geely GE" (Rolls Royce knockoff) while the rest of the world face palms.

I dunno if it's just me but in that video it looks like the Chibson shape is a bit off. The horn is pointing down too much and the round side is also a bit weird looking.

Personally the main problem I have with Chibsons is that it says Gibson on the headstock and therefore is counterfeit and "a lie". There are many amazing single cut brands in that price range like Tokai Love Rock or SE Single Cut PRS etc. that are just as good if not better than Chibsons. The reason you get a Chibson is because you can not afford to get a real Gibson but you want other people to think that you can afford one.

It's the same thing as wearing fake branded clothing. You can not simultanously say that "you don't care about the brands that cost a lot of money" and then wear fake branded clothes. That infact says that you do care and you do want to fake people into thinking you have something expensive when in reality you don't.

That however is only a small part of the problem. Imagine getting a second hand Gibson and paying a lot of money for it and when you take a closer look into it it's a Chibson.

Personally the main problem I have with Chibsons is that it says Gibson on the headstock and therefore is counterfeit and "a lie". There are many amazing single cut brands in that price range like Tokai Love Rock or SE Single Cut PRS etc. that are just as good if not better than Chibsons. The reason you get a Chibson is because you can not afford to get a real Gibson but you want other people to think that you can afford one.

First of all - they sell GUITARS, not gibsons. Real Tokai cost more than twice of chibson. You can ask for custom headstock logo, chinese builders can write Tokai, PRS, ESP, ibanez, etc, what you want, for free. The desire of the buyer - the law for them. If you ask gibson factory for custom headstock - they tell you to pay 1000000$ for custom build. So say thanks for china builders for doing a good job, they are a Jesus of guitar builders.

Last edited:
It is illegal only in US. But factories in china, so you can buy it legal
Trademark infringement covers China as well. It is illegal. What happens when you sue a company in China is the problem.

Have a read for example: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/louis-vuitton-sues-chinese-counterfeit-online-sellers-1537129

I will not continue this topic. It's getting political which is against the rules of this forum.

Also @SteveGuitars it does come across like you have something to do with Chibsons being that you registered on this forum, not to talk about Fractal Audio Systems' products, but to support another company that by all western standards is illegal.

You can not simultanously say that "you don't care about the brands that cost a lot of money" and then wear fake branded clothes. That infact says that you do care and you do want to fake people into thinking you have something expensive when in reality you don't.

That is the best point I've seen made.

Oh, and ban SteveGuitars....he's obviously got an agenda here.

The knock-offs may be functional instruments with or without a little work, but they are still knock offs. Buying one is much like buying one of the better Rolex knock-offs that go for around a grand. Sure, you have a working watch that looks like a Rolex, but at the end of the day it's not a real Rolex.

I bought 3 LP's from China out of curiousity because they were so cheap.
Cost me $300 each (Including shipping)
Spec'd them out myself with solid mahoganybodies etc. (You never know what you could get)
Upgraded to Rio Grande BBQ and Genuine Texas and replaced the crappy nut for a TUSQ in the one I liked the most.
Sounds and plays great, ended up selling my real LP and play this one instead!
Fretwork better than my Real Gibson..

Quality is actually very good but you have to do some research because I have tried Chibsons that were total crap too!

Here it is: (Some of the others looked better, but I bonded with this because of the bigger neck)

I have a Chinese-made block-logo Austin LP copy. It plays great, sounds great and looks great. And it doesn't pretend to be a Gibson: different headstock, different horn, different name. There is no fakery.

Last edited:
With a base cost of $300 and then the money and time for pickups and extra work when buying a copy, why wouldn't an ESP or Epiphone LP style guitar be a safer purchase?

Sorry for the thread necromancy but I'd just like to ask a question about Chibsons...

What if you want a Les Paul but find the idea of giving money to Henry juszkiewicz & Co. even more morally repulsive than giving money to a Chinese knockoff company?

Then buy a used one.

Got it.

Wait what if I don't like the idea of buying a guitar that's had another dude's (or multiple other dudes') hands rubbing it down for hundreds if not thousands of hours?

Last edited:
Got it.

Wait what if I don't like the idea of buying a guitar that's had another dude's (or multiple other dudes') hands rubbing it down for hundreds if not thousands of hours?

Dude, people pay top money for a guitar that looks like it has been been handled by multiple dudes, rubbing it down for thousands of hours. That's the whole basis of the relic guitar industry. ;)

Back
Top Bottom