Chimey & grindey Q2.0 Vox tones!

Guitarjon

Fractal Fanatic
Hey everybody!

I haven't played a lot through Vox type amps or cabs so I thought the new Quantum 2.0 FW and the new OwnHammer Vox 212 VX30 pack would be a great excuse to try make a cool demo.
I really enjoyed making this because it's really different than other demo's I've done before.

The Main tones were done with the Class-A 30W Hot model and this IR: OH 212 VX30 BLUE OH1F-04 I used my Strat for all the guitar parts. It sounds chimey and grindey!
What I also dig about these tones is that the guitars leave a very nice space for the midrage of the bass guitar to grunt through.

DAT Deep Space verb is also very nice (thanks for the tip Justin :) )

Hope you enjoy!

Fantastic - I was gonna base my main sound around that amp and cab - now I want it even more (please mister postman bring me my Ax8)

Great sound, great song. Love it!

Great job on the drum programming too!

Last edited:
WHat a great Voxsound!

What ist for you the difference beween this IR´s and the Justin York Vox Ir´s? It´s the same, isn´t it? the Justin York sounds more "hard"? I ´ve purchased it, but I can´t achieve such sounds.

Sounds excellent, curious if you did any post production (eq / comp) or its all from tracking. Also, did you use the ac30hot for the cleaner parts too or is that top boost?

Sounds excellent, curious if you did any post production (eq / comp) or its all from tracking. Also, did you use the ac30hot for the cleaner parts too or is that top boost?
Thanks!
Well, usually I don't do a lot of eq (if any at all) in my presets.
I look for IR's that already have a good eq balance.
Sometimes the bass needs bit more room or the guitars sometimes need a bit more air or things like a minor mid dip.
That all depends on the mix and the interaction with the other instruments.
In this case I think I only used a hpf to remove some lows.

I also always run all my tracks through slate digital plugins.
That tends to add some subtle warmth and glue to the entire mix.

Hope that helps.

Oh and the clean tone was the same amp but the clean channel, not sure what it's called atm.

Reactions: edo
Jon, time after time, you absolutely kill it. Not to sound like a broken record, but, mind sharing the preset(s)?

Oh and the clean tone was the same amp but the clean channel, not sure what it's called atm.

Well, we have ac30hot (which is ac30hw2 tb channel hot mode), ac30tb (tb cool mode), ac30 (normal channel) and ac3brt (normal channel bright switch on)..

Well, we have ac30hot (which is ac30hw2 tb channel hot mode), ac30tb (tb cool mode), ac30 (normal channel) and ac3brt (normal channel bright switch on)..
Just came home, I looked it up and the clean one is the Class-A 30W Brt amp.

Btw with oh ir's and ac30tb (which is pretty much all I use) I always have to dip 4-5 db's in the 400hz range.. If you don't mind sharing, how do you tweak the amp settings?? Although your clip is mostly beyond edge of breakup so settings interact very differently.. But it'd be nice to know!

Btw with oh ir's and ac30tb (which is pretty much all I use) I always have to dip 4-5 db's in the 400hz range.. If you don't mind sharing, how do you tweak the amp settings?? Although your clip is mostly beyond edge of breakup so settings interact very differently.. But it'd be nice to know!

For the main tones the settings were very basic.
Input drive at around 5.
Bass 5.5
Mid 6.2
Treb 5
High Cut 4.7

That's about it really...
I don't think I cut any mids on the guitars but I could check for you tomorrow.
If I did it, it surely would have been a mild cut of a db or 2.

Back
Top Bottom