Cherry or hickory?

Definitely Cherry. Hickory is too over-powering for poultry. What are you smoking with?
I’m a newbie to the grill and have only bbq’ed so much so far. I’ve added Weber hickory chips and I like the flavor they have.
I recently found out a firewood store near me who also sell smoking wood. They stock both cherry and hickory. We only do poultry and fish - salmon is primarily done on a cedar plank.

I second pecan for poultry. But apple is definitely nice this time of year and pairs well with poultry and a glass of cider. I usually set the heat a little under 300 and spatchcock the bird. Low and slow for poultry (225-250) comes out a little too dry.

Pecan is all I use
I’ve used all the different woods for smoking and grilling and I have been using pecan for a long time.
I have a BGE and I just think the flavor of the pecan wood is the best and it doesn’t matter what I’m cooking.
Get yourself a pecan Limb or a bag of chucks and try it imho best flavor to any meat.

I really love low and slow pork butt that is my favorite 18 hour cook of four pork butts oh baby I’m getting hungry just thinking about it lolo_O:):cool:
Give it a try love to hear what you guys think of Pecan wood for grilling and smoking:D

I use apple, unless I want the particular flavor of mesquite (where a little goes a long way)
Best steak I ever had was cooked over a campfire in the rain at Jack's Canyon over a fire fueled with a mix of local scrub juniper and some mesquite firewood logs we picked up at Circle K on the way out of town. Overnight the rain turned to snow, and we had to de-ice the tent to break it down when we packed out....

Best steak I ever had was cooked over a campfire in the rain at Jack's Canyon over a fire fueled with a mix of local scrub juniper and some mesquite firewood logs we picked up at Circle K on the way out of town. Overnight the rain turned to snow, and we had to de-ice the tent to break it down when we packed out....

Best burger I’ve ever had was cooked over mesquite at the Chuck Box lol

I remember the Chuck Box. It was across the street from Ozzie's Warehouse, where my old band played a number of gigs back when dirt was rocks....

I think they had a couple, I know there was one in Scottsdale Rd that closed but I think the original in Tempe is still around, or at least was a few years back

I think they had a couple, I know there was one in Scottsdale Rd that closed but I think the original in Tempe is still around, or at least was a few years back
Tempe was the one I was referring to. Not sure if it still exists. I stopped going to Tempe around the turn of the century. All that Super Bowl money ruined it. The heart and soul of old Tempe died when Elvis DelMonte passed in '99....

Wow, and I thought the anality (or is it analizing?) of guitar tone could never be matched, but I see BBQ woods are a very close 2nd!
Hmmm..... Mr. Cliff, I think you should develop a parallel business and introduce the world's first "Modeling BBQ" cooker. Different smokewood blocks, seasoning effect blocks, the reverb block could easily transition into a firebox dimensions block. I know Austinbuddy would have a preset pack out before Thanksgiving......

Wow, and I thought the anality (or is it analizing?) of guitar tone could never be matched, but I see BBQ woods are a very close 2nd!
Hmmm..... Mr. Cliff, I think you should develop a parallel business and introduce the world's first "Modeling BBQ" cooker. Different smokewood blocks, seasoning effect blocks, the reverb block could easily transition into a firebox dimensions block. I know Austinbuddy would have a preset pack out before Thanksgiving......
In the case of my steak anecdote, it was less an anal thing than a 'what we could find that burned' thing. We literally picked up a $5 bag of firewood at Circle K that happened to be mesquite, and scrounged for kindling at the site, picking dead branches off juniper and other local scrub bushes and trees. It just happened to work well....

Tempe was the one I was referring to. Not sure if it still exists. I stopped going to Tempe around the turn of the century. All that Super Bowl money ruined it. The heart and soul of old Tempe died when Elvis DelMonte passed in '99....
I have some art work I bought from Elvis in front of Long Wongs back in the day, also saw him to a guest appearance with the Guin Blossoms at the state fair.

I have some art work I bought from Elvis in front of Long Wongs back in the day, also saw him to a guest appearance with the Guin Blossoms at the state fair.
Cool! Got to play at LW a couple times as an opener, can't remember the name of the band, but the one guitarist was a big, tall guy who played Rickenbackers. Played Sail Inn quite a few times. Wouldn't be surprised if the local draconian loitering, etc. policies enforced by the police didn't have a hand in Elvis' demise. You couldn't hang out any more after all the big name generic shops/restaurants went in. 'Shop and leave' was the policy.

Back
Top Bottom