Chef's Boss HM2

Wow, hi Chef !!!
Last days I really, really a lot of work and I can not follow the news in this forum. Just now saw this thread. Thanks for the work when the time will certainly want to try. I do not even have time to update the firmware ((
You're a real Swede !!!

Thanx! No worries, dude. I know the feeling...

Nice work, sounds really close to me.
Has anyone made this work in front of an actual amp model i.e. the Brit800 like the real pedal was/is used? I always end up in a mess of feedback and noise even with the level turned way down and the gain just above zero on the "amp". With a pedal block with comparable amounts of gain (M-Zone) I dont seem to have that problem.

As a second reference, displaying a more modern and actually more generally usable tone:

PS: I'm not a 100% sure that they use the HM2 but their guitarists are known to own one and this sounds pretty much like the HM-2 chainsaw

I'd liken Grand Morbid Funeral more into the typical "death metal" guitar tones. Don't really hear the distinct HM2 style raspy grind IMO

It's definitely a different interpretation of that kind of sound but I still think I hear the HM-2 voicing in it. And as opposed to those classic tones it's far more usable for different (sub-)genres.
In the end what I'm really looking for is a basis to shape my tone around or in other words, a way to actually use the HM-2 tone match as a part of signal chain to mess around with. But I guess we'd need a pedal model for that purpose. Not that it's extremely important to me. Just a distinct tone that's nice to have sometime.

I have an original Boss HM-2 as well that I purchased off eBay, but I have found that with the right preset and tweaking all you need to do is is place a compressor pedal before the amp block and turn the output volume of the comp up way too high and you will get almost the same type of tone. Like maxed out to 20dB output. Just adjust everything to taste. A slightly overdriven amp with even a touch of grit with an overdrive helps too, but just make sure to slam the output of the comp.

Just tried what you said and found that it works even better with a cranked comp block in front of a drive block. The TS808Mod sounded really close to the typical chainsaw. Then put these two blocks in front an amp. Or in other words, you just have to overdrive the input of a drive block like a crazy.

This can't be right. The HM-2 is a magical mystical death metal machine it cannot be replicated by simple trickery! Begone unbelievers!

That was pink though, wasn't it? That's just... not metal.

Bright pink is totally metal LOL. I think my old DOD "Thrash Metal" pedal was also pink...

DOD also had a "Death Metal" pedal with blood splatter graphics and I think the parameter knobs had names like "pain" etc. Little too mall "metal" for me, like something for the Hot Topic teen guitarist.

As a second reference, displaying a more modern and actually more generally usable tone:

PS: I'm not a 100% sure that they use the HM2 but their guitarists are known to own one and this sounds pretty much like the HM-2 chainsaw

As far as I know, the guitar players of Bloodbath used a different pedal on their latest album. In the past they used the BOSS HM-2, but now they use a hand made, heavily modified version. It's pretty expensive, but it offers way more sounds than the original pedal. Here's a link to the pedal's description in their webshop: Lone Wolf Audio — Left Hand Wrath highly tuned HM2

Cheers,

GH

Back
Top Bottom