Check your XLR cables

Axe-Master
Had a run of shows last week using the III/FC-6 combo for guitar and bass which worked a treat .Setting up for the final show the FC was stalling on the start up screen I tried power cycling the Axe to no avail and then started reading the manual and the wiki to try diagnose the issue - of course I ignored the "check the cable" advice until I tried everything else.

Finally swapped the cable and it hit the spot immediately. So, before you freak out, check your cable folks.

Had a run of shows last week using the III/FC-6 combo for guitar and bass which worked a treat .Setting up for the final show the FC was stalling on the start up screen I tried power cycling the Axe to no avail and then started reading the manual and the wiki to try diagnose the issue - of course I ignored the "check the cable" advice until I tried everything else.

Finally swapped the cable and it hit the spot immediately. So, before you freak out, check your cable folks.

But aren't you using always the same XLR cable ?
If so, the cable broke in between gigs ?
I have been using the XLR cable which I received with the MFC101 from G66 for many many years...never had any issue...luckily...;)

But aren't you using always the same XLR cable ?
If so, the cable broke in between gigs ?
I have been using the XLR cable which I received with the MFC101 from G66 for many many years...never had any issue...luckily...;)

Same XLR between the two gigs, but I don't have a consistent go to XLR - I just use whatever is in the gig bag.

Thanks for the reminder, Leon.

A bit OT, but are there any ramifications from plugging in the FC-X to the Axe-Fx III when the AFX is already powered up? I remember reading that it was discouraged with the MFC-101 and the AFX II, but don't recall seeing anything along those lines with the AFX III/FC-X combination.

Thanks for the reminder, Leon.

A bit OT, but are there any ramifications from plugging in the FC-X to the Axe-Fx III when the AFX is already powered up? I remember reading that it was discouraged with the MFC-101 and the AFX II, but don't recall seeing anything along those lines with the AFX III/FC-X combination.

No.

From the manual:

"Setting up a single FC unit is simple. Use a generic Male-to-Female XLR cable to connect the FASLINKTM II port of the Axe-Fx III to the FASLINKTM II port of the FC as shown in the diagram below. This connection provides both power and 2-way communications—sending footswitch and pedal commands to the Axe- Fx III, and sending the FC all required programming instructions, status updates, mini-display messages, and more. The FC is even “hot swappable” meaning there is no need to power down the Axe-Fx III."

Danny W.

No problem. In fact, when hooked up this way, the FC boots up crazy fast.

I have family visiting that wants to hear band rehearsal tonight... We are all IEM, so not easy to do.

So, I broke out my KRK Rockit6 monitors and hooked them up. Volume full up, Master fader on the DL32R at 0dB... Very quiet.

Both XLRs were carrying the signal but really quiet. Swapped them out and had a significant increase in volume.

Ordered new XLR cables today as I'm out of "spares". :(

I have family visiting that wants to hear band rehearsal tonight... We are all IEM, so not easy to do.

So, I broke out my KRK Rockit6 monitors and hooked them up. Volume full up, Master fader on the DL32R at 0dB... Very quiet.

Both XLRs were carrying the signal but really quiet. Swapped them out and had a significant increase in volume.

Ordered new XLR cables today as I'm out of "spares". :(
Sounds like maybe those XLRs were wired for unbalanced signal.l, or one pin was shorted to ground.

Sounds like maybe those XLRs were wired for unbalanced signal.l, or one pin was shorted to ground.
Yeah, not sure... I need to check them out, but I'm pretty sure we've used them for (at least) mics before. Possible bad/broken solder joint.

51kRD70uQjL.jpg

Worth it's weight in gold.

I've had guitar leads that still worked test bad on here. And they were, SLIGHT grounding of the main wire = muffled signal.

Every audio tool bag should have this or the original they copied.

Back
Top Bottom