Check your patches AFTER firmware updates and BEFORE gigs

Secret80'sMan

Experienced
You would think I would have learned by now, but apparently not. I've been using the Axe-Fx since mine shipped with 6.10 or so I believe. Well, I updated to 7.12 several days ago and checked my main five sounds and thought all was well. Last night at my gig a number of patches had wildly varying volume levels and one was even heavily distorted. ADMISSION: This is all MY fault. I should have checked every single sound THOROUGHLY. I can't stress the importance of doing this consistently after every firmware upgrade.

I violated the other cardinal rule of sin, DON'T UPGRADE RIGHT BEFORE THE GIG. Well, I had two days and thought that enough BUT I didn't check through all the patches thoroughly so not only did I waste my grace period but I had to deal with the fallout. Sound guy had to ride levels on my guitar all night. I was embarrassed and irritated. I guarantee it won't happen again, at least not to me. I hope this helps some of you in the community. :oops:

I've been guilty of exactly the same thing on more than one occasion. :oops:
When i announce to my band mates that i've upgraded the firmware they all roll their eyes expecting
a gig with fluctuating guitar levels.
As Secret80'sman says - it's only me to blame.
I've learned the hard way but it's just so damn hard to resist not gigging with new features.

Chuk said:
I've been guilty of exactly the same thing on more than one occasion. :oops:
When i announce to my band mates that i've upgraded the firmware they all roll their eyes expecting
a gig with fluctuating guitar levels.
As Secret80'sman says - it's only me to blame.
I've learned the hard way but it's just so damn hard to resist not gigging with new features.
I thought I was the only one that actually "proudly" told my band mates when I install a new firmware... It's almost as if I'm getting a great new piece of gear and I gotta tell them... :D

Trust me, they probably don't really want to know. :)

They only care that you sound awesome, and when you do something that changes the awesomeness, they notice.

Back
Top Bottom