Cheat Sheet on Ultra Res IRs

krcassid

Inspired
Hi All: I must admit to being overwhelmed by all the choices in IRs. Even though I've bought most of the cab packs and really like the Ultra Res IRs I've tried, I have never been able to find the time to put together a concerted effort to match UR IRs to my amps. So, despite having spent the $ for the IRs (and all the great free ones from FA), I am still using the stock preset IRs. Some might call me lazy but I just feel overwhelmed at trying to find "the best" or even "better" IRs given all the amps and all the choices. I thought there might might be a way to gain some knowledge from those who have put the time in by setting up some kind of thread or wiki link matching amps to UR IRs (I apologize if this exists--if it does, can someone tell me?).

For me, I am using primarily EF86 amps (Vox, DC30, Bad Cat...) and Fenders for most rhythm work and a Mesa-type lead. I suspect there may be a 1/2 dozen really good UR options for these few amps. But, how to find them? If there is no interest in a thread/ database, maybe somebody could give me some recommendations for UR IRs for these amps (and where they can be found)?

In my "real amp world" I spent nearly a year A/Bing cabs/speakers with all my amps and found that, for the Voxes, the typical 2 x Celestion Blue is awesome (have not seen UR Celestion blues). But, for almost all my other amps, I use 2 2X12s (in stereo in studio), each having a Celestion Gold and a Creamback in an open back 65 Amps cab. This might give you some idea what I like.

Thanks for any insights!

Edit: The other issue I find is "workflow related". There are so many IRs and just a few slots in my Cab Manager. If I could load all the UR IRs at once and go thru them, this would take time but be workable. However, if we had a "suggestion box" of UR IRs for various amps, this sure would make it a lot easier!

Last edited:
Edit: The other issue I find is "workflow related". There are so many IRs and just a few slots in my Cab Manager. If I could load all the UR IRs at once and go thru them, this would take time but be workable. However, if we had a "suggestion box" of UR IRs for various amps, this sure would make it a lot easier!

You might know this already, but...

If you use auto-audition with the scratch pad and then load a directory tree of IRs, you can step through them with your keyboard's up/down arrows and they'll load every time you step to the next IR.

You can "star" IRs as you step through them in this manner. I think it's space bar, but double check the menu in Axe-Edit. I'm not in front of my Axe-Fx right now.

Once you've starred a bunch of IRs you like, you can filter the left-hand pane to show only starred IRs and then do more auditioning or transfer just the starred IRs over to your hardware so you have them there in nonvolatile memory to use in your patches.

Also remember that an IR is sometimes way more powerful than all amp settings combined. Not choosing an IR is limiting your sound a lot. Take the extra 5min. It's worth it. And most of the time you'll spend at least 15min less tweaking the amp if the IR choice is correct. :)

Back
Top Bottom