Cheaper alternatives to MFC ?

Izzyprad

Inspired
Are there any cheaper alternative to Fractal Audio's MFC 101? $750 for a midi pedal is just wayyyyy too much for me.

I am looking for something around $200. Behringer FCB does not look bad, but will it work it Axe FX II?

Any Idea?

The FCB will work, only you won't be able to change different effects with it, just presets (10 per page). You may want to look into the Ground Control Pro by Voodoo Labs if you're looking to have this function. I believe the only thing the MFC has that the GCP doesn't is an on-board tuner.

For under $200, I think the FCB1010 is your best bet. If you get the Uno chip, you can use one row (five) of the ten switches to switch individual effects.

I'm using the FCB1010 with the Uno chip and it does most of what I need. I considered the MFC, but I couldn't really justify the price difference, so I'm keeping the FCB. I use it with one row for presets and one for individual effects and rarely feel like I could use more buttons for individual effects.

I can't find it now, but somewhere I saw a blog post where someone was actually using TWO FCB1010's ! Somehow they'd 'linked' them together and was doing different things with each. There was even a computer editor .... One controller was labled "RED" and the other "GREEN" ....

It all looked pretty cool, but I lost my bookmark and can't find it now .... :cry

agreed, probably about $250 for GCP though. That's what i bought and sold mine for. Great board, and easy to make your own cool labels for. Much easier than the MFC is for sure.

The GCP is a great controller. Plenty of you tbe vids to show how to set it up with the Axe FX.
I also own the MFC , which I love !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What I would like to see is software to support the hardware so you could set your controllers up from your PC.
It would save lots of time and brain cells

I'm waiting for the Axe line board. This would made my FBV a great footcontroller for my 1st gen Axe.
It will display the tuner too ;-)

I can't find any used GCP at this moment. They sell for $400 in ebay.

I was thinking about FCB but I have heard some people saying it wont work with AXE FX II, and some saying it is a nightmare to program FCB to work with AXE FX II. How does GCB compare with FCB in terms of programming (to work with AXE FX II) ?

Thanks

I've been using a stock FCB1010 with my AxeFx Ultra and AxeII for quite some time, and it DOES work. Programming it can be a bear, no lie, especially if you aren't experienced at programming such things. That is the primary knock on the FCB1010. Great price, but a difficult learning curve to program.

A stock Behringer FCB1010 can still do quite a bit. The primary benefit of the Uno Mod is that you have corresponding LED on/off with the top row "stomp" switches. Without the Uno Mod, you can still have "stomp" functionality via CC# controlling the bypass state of effect blocks and controllers, but you'll have to remember what switch does what since the LED states give don't give you the on/off state feedback.

So, it depends on how many "stomp" switches you'll need to have on a preset-by-preset basis. If you only have limited needs for "stomp" switches (such as overdrive pedal block on/off, echo block on/off), then you might be fine with a stock FCB1010, especially if you can really HEAR the changes to the sounds when the stomps are on/off. If you're adding stuff like subtle chorus and reverb, or fine tweaks to sounds that may be lost in the context of a whole band performance, then the LED state feedback will be extremely useful.

The Uno modification is pretty cheap money though, and if you are not afraid of doing the simple modification, well worth it without a doubt. Bear in mind, though, that many a FCB1010 user has become puzzled by the cryptic manner in which the pedal is programmed, and it does take some practice. Some of the software editors are ok, some are hit-or-miss. Easy and intuitive to program out of the box? Not the FCB1010. GREAT bang for the buck, though. You can buy 2 for the price of just about any other MIDI footboard with comparable features, if backup is a concern.

I can't find any used GCP at this moment. They sell for $400 in ebay.

I was thinking about FCB but I have heard some people saying it wont work with AXE FX II, and some saying it is a nightmare to program FCB to work with AXE FX II. How does GCB compare with FCB in terms of programming (to work with AXE FX II) ?

Thanks

$400 is new price. Keep your eyes open, when they pop up used, they are about $250-$300 so if that does spark you fancy, and you can be patient, it'll happen, just could be a few weeks.

GCP is super simple to setup. I had it all programmed for the ultra in no time at all, so would assume that would be the same with the II.

I would say the GCP or the liquid foot pro, but what is it that you want to do? If only changing presets is your deal, a midi mouse might be perfect. If you want to switch on/drives for eg, a midi mate might be better. If you want the tuning displayed on the foot controller screen, the mfc and the liquid foot pro or the gordius might work.

Also, do a search, LOADS of threads like this one....

Not pushing for the FCB1010 necessarily, but the GCP does not come equipped with any expression pedals (for volume, wah wah, etc.), which is an added cost. If you don't need them, then not an issue. The FCB1010 has 2 built-in expression pedals (not the greatest "feel", but they do work and have lasted a surprisingly long time without issue in my experience). Izzy, is this for home studio or traveling gigs?

Yea, good point, the exp pedals are an added cost. If so, the FCB is a better choice.

The real question is: how many times can you throw the FCB1010 against the wall before it breaks? j/k. Patience is necessary with the FCB1010. Once you've got it licked, not a big deal...BUT...that initial hurdle can be a real pain in the butt!

I've got an FCB1010 with the chip upgrade if anyone wants one. It's just sitting unused in the closet. Don't need it - I use my AXE-FX II with a preset for each song... easy to reach around me and make the change by hand.

Yeah I would like to have a few expression pedals for wah/whammy/effect control. So FCB definitely has some advantages over GCB. Although GCB looks really well built, and I like the switches.

I am looking for a midi controller mainly for live playing. I usually have lots of preset, but I don't turn effect/amp on/off in a same preset.

@larryseyer,
What is this chip upgrade for? How much are you planning to sell yours for?

Well if you're looking for a controller to just switch presets, the midi mouse is GREAT! I use one when I have no need for switching fx on/off (quite a bit, as I have different presets for solos/rhythm work) and its a plug n play device. VERY small footprint too - nice n neat onstage. It also has a search function so you don't have to scroll thru presets actively.
Only $100, and an expression pedal should cost you the same, which would still fit in your budget.

Back
Top Bottom