Cheap wireless systems

Intheband

Inspired
Anyone used the el cheapo wireless systems? Like, under $50? I’m looking at cable management in my home studio, not a touring or live performance rig (already have that). Are the cheapos tone sucking little bastards, or the perfect budget friendly solution to home studio recording?

Not worth it at all in my opinion. Interference, low dynamic range, bad sound quality. Cheapest I’d go is the recent WiFi based systems or the line 6 g10. Don’t do VHF.

Line6 G10s work surprisingly well for their price, used it with many gigs as my use of wireless is not constant, just for some shows where I have to run around. Just use real batteries and replace them often, G10 does not like rechargeable batteries, the level is too low for it to properly operate.

+1 to what @chris said -- it's going to cause more problems than it solves. G10 is fine. I picked up a used G30 and it's been great. Reasonably robust and reliable. Decent range for small bars. I only use it with rechargeable batteries in the transmitter and it's been solid. You can grab a G30 system used for the same price as a G10 it looks like.

In the G10 price range you also have the Boss WL-20L to consider now too.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I am already using a g50, (live) and I have a g90 in storage (rack mount). I was really hoping to get away from the big transmitter pack. Big and clunky in a studio atmosphere. Switching from guitar to bass, to acoustic, etc. banging and dinging tops, attached to a strap etc. sooo, I was hoping to stay under $100, but looks like a used g10 will fit bill. I like the small transmitter.

Sorry, I've never heard of using a wireless system in a studio before? Even if you must (and I'm going to assume you are driving a Fractal) why would you want to put something cheap in front of it? Sorry.....I'm really confused here.

As a general rule for me, cables are annoying. This is pure luxury and not a necessity. A cable in the studio gets rolled over by my chair, tangles up in expression and volume pedals. Is ugly, does not play well with other cables.....a wireless system would help reduce that headache.
Why cheap? Well, I don’t need a100+ yards, maybe 10 feet at best. So I don’t need a big expensive transmitter/ receiver system. The only thing I won’t compromise with is low dynamic range and sound quality. So, I was hoping to find something that fits that sinario.

I would not want any wireless unit(cheap or expensive) altering my sound and latency while recording but, Maybe a cheap wireless will give you the sound you have been searching for. like Angus Young.

AFAIK Angus Young's wireless was analog, hence he could that crunchy compression out from that 'pedal'.

So, it’s either the Carvin at $139 with 5.8gh freq and a 4 hour battery, or the line 6 g10s at $250, 2.4gh freq at an 8 hr battery. I’m thinking the Carvin, less money but better freq, less interference and most of my sessions are less than 4 hrs. So just recharge every session.

Back
Top Bottom