Cheap(ish) audio interface with S/PDIF?

I second the Komplete Audio 6

Works well, is very full features with lots of I/O including midi SPDIF, balanced I/O, direct monitoring, and even a big volume ouput dial on the top that is super handy. Essentially its giving you everything you need and then some, and at a pretty bargain price

I second the Komplete Audio 6

Works well, is very full features with lots of I/O including midi SPDIF, balanced I/O, direct monitoring, and even a big volume ouput dial on the top that is super handy. Essentially its giving you everything you need and then some, and at a pretty bargain price

I have an issue with that big knobs on top, i usually put things on top of my interfaces duo to restritions of space in my desk, this interface would not work well for me.

I have an issue with that big knobs on top, i usually put things on top of my interfaces duo to restritions of space in my desk, this interface would not work well for me.
Since you don't recommend either of the suggestions so far, what's your suggestion?

I haven't seen any pro reviews regarding the preamps/DACs on the Behringer, but they have very good reviews on the KA6.

When evaluating interfaces, it's a good idea to find out what DACs are used in each interface... some of them sample internally at a lower rate than their specs. Also, look around for any known issues with drivers and reliability, etc.

My KA6 requires no software or drivers in OSX.

It's also nice to be able to grab the KA6 and use it in the field with my MacBook, since it's USB bus-powered. There are no extra power supplies to keep track of.

If it was my money i would go with the Focusrite Saffire, i bet the converters and signal path is a bit better then KA6.
Based on what facts...? Just taking a random stab at a recommendation doesn't help the OP.

@bjjp2 once you narrow it down, read some reviews of each and make a decision based on owner experience of each interface. If you do a little research you can also find out what DACs are used in each unit, how their latency compares and who manufactured the preamps.

ESI U24 XL $129 US
Komplete Audio 6
Roland UA55 Quad Capture (around $220US)
Tascam 366 (I bought one for around $100US used)

The ESI is very small and doesn't even have and knobs on it, hence it's reliance on a computer.
The Focusrite 6i6 and (possibly, all though undocumented) the Roland can be used in standalone mode (without a computer).
Only the 6i6 above needs an Ac adapter, the rest are USB bus powered

The 6i6 and the Komplete have the most inputs. Everyone loves the 6i6 (I have one), but be forewarned that there's a bit of an annoying learning curve with the MixControl software. Just
isn't the most user friendly at first (although it's good)

Last edited:
I owned a Focusrite Saffire prior to the KA6, and a RME prior to that, and noticed zero differences in audio quality (or latency) between any of them, including use of the mic pre's. I think once you get to a certain price point they are all good, and it just comes down to features, number of I/O one needs etc.

No one ever is going to be able to tell a difference in a recording, any more than they are going to be able to hear a difference in the audio cables used, or the monitors you mixed on it etc. It just comes down to product marketing as to how much "better" one product claims to be over another product which is also very good and which likely also claims to be "the best".

Just doesn't matter beyond a placebo effect of where maybe you track vocals better because you have brand X and in my mind since brand X has a certain reputation (generally due to products they make in a totally different price point/market) it results in a more inspired performance, but is the interface magic, or anything one could actually tell apart in a blind test ? Nope

That's a bold statement.

So are you suggesting that if I send you some random audio tracks, done with a variety of interfaces I've owned, you consistently be able to say "ah yes, that one is a Focusrite DAC" and "this one is clearly done on the RME Hammerfal" and "I clearly hear the influence of the NI interface on this one" ???

Odds are you'll think they sound the same, because they do, however, if you think something like a KA6 is adversely coloring your tone, or otherwise diminishing your signal, by all means use a different brand.

So are you suggesting that if I send you some random audio tracks, done with a variety of interfaces I've owned, you consistently be able to say "ah yes, that one is a Focusrite DAC" and "this one is clearly done on the RME Hammerfal" and "I clearly hear the influence of the NI interface on this one" ???

Odds are you'll think they sound the same, because they do, however, if you think something like a KA6 is adversely coloring your tone, or otherwise diminishing your signal, by all means use a different brand.

Sure, I see your point about diminishing returns. However, I do think you are omitting some things here.

Anyway, the tread is about cheap, so yeah.

I didnt say I would hear a difference, but there are people that have trained ears in audio that can.

Back
Top Bottom