Cheap and light backup rigs?

Not a Fan of their Amp Modellers since the First Axe Came Out, but still a happy g-90 Wireless user I suggest to try the Line6 Sonic Port instead of the iRig...better AD/DA Converters, more dynamic....just my 2c...

I often use Ethos overdrive pedal into my Aer Alpha Plus amp. Very lightweight and good sounding rig. It basically turns my acoustic amp into a 2 channel electric amp.

I have a Zoom MS-50g with 3 presets programmed - clean, crunch and lead and hitting the button just cycles between them. Since it’s just a pedal I don’t think it can be any smaller and lighter as a backup. Obviously no amplification in there. It would go into a powered monitor that I assume that I could get hold of anywhere in case both the AFx2 and my monitor fails and then to FoH same as the AFx2.

I have exactly the same setup even down to the 3 presets. Never had to use it for a gig, but I might do so this weekend as a very small light portable rig. It fits in the small gig back that my mfc and foot controllers travel in, so I always have it with me. When I did plug it into the pa during sound check I thought it sounded pretty good.

If I wanted a cheap and easy all-in-one type backup, I'd probably just grab a POD floor unit of some sort, or something along those lines.

At the moment I'm putting together a not-so-cheap backup pedalboard rig. Basically an AMT SS-30 for the preamp, a few other bits (volume pedal, delay(s), tuner, etc.), and an EHX Magnum 44 to power it. It won't just be a backup though, it'll probably be used for practices and smaller gigs too, rather than lugging around the big Axe rig. Far from an inexpensive solution though, considering I only had a few of the bits to start with.

I'm seriously considering picking up an iRig HD for my iPad and buying Bias and JamUp Pro. That combined with Garage Band and I'd have a great portable DAW for capturing ideas on the go.

Do consider the Apogee options too EJ
thumbsup.gif
Really nice and whilst the 'basic' interface is great, look a little further up the range and you'll see they can charge the iPad whilst in use too

I'll wager that once you try JamUp & Bias, you might even consider using it for more than you initially thought...
wink.gif

Do consider the Apogee options too EJ
thumbsup.gif
Really nice and whilst the 'basic' interface is great, look a little further up the range and you'll see they can charge the iPad whilst in use too

I'll wager that once you try JamUp & Bias, you might even consider using it for more than you initially thought...
wink.gif

Ironically enough, I just got the seasonal MF catalog in the mail yesterday and was flipping through it last night. The Apogee units caught my eye. While googling/comparing a few iPad interfaces I ran across an interesting website dedicated to creating music on iOS portables. iPad Music Apps and Gear. Reviews, Videos, Tutorials

Cubasis and Auria look interesting. I don't see ever completely converting to iPad recording, but for on-the-go stuff when I don't have access to my full studio, sure, why not?

Thanks for the heads-up on the Apogee.

I have been thinking about the OP's question and it's not specific as too the type of back up rig, ie direct or amp and cab required. I still like the TEC 21 offering but you need something to hear it with (amp and a cab). That said if you add their Power engine 112 or maybe the Electro Harmonix Magnum 44 power amp pedal and a 112 cab it would round out that rig nicely. The problem with that is it starts to make things not so cheep when you start adding that up may as well do a line 6 spider valve or the many other offerings in that same category.

For the direct route I think it would have to go the Line 6 HD for a plug in drop and go type of deal. Even though it's not on par even with a 1st gen Axe it's a lot more convenient as a back up rig that's fairly inexpensive.

My cheap/light backup rig is an axe-fx internal power supply and two eprom chips. I always have a computer at my gig so reflashing firmware is not an issue.

Reactions: sam
Cubasis and Auria look interesting. I don't see ever completely converting to iPad recording, but for on-the-go stuff when I don't have access to my full studio, sure, why not?

AURIA is a hell of a DAW. Alone the "standard" FX, EQs, Comp's, Saturation Plugins, Convolution Reverb can take it up to the big ones. No bullshit. And the latency by using Auria with my Focusrite 18i20 is real slow. The routing is easy.....I'm frakin' lovin' it.

Has anyone tried the plugin 'amps' in the Behringer X32?
I have the Behringer X-rack, which would allow me to add one of their virtual guitar amps to my guitar channel (so I could just plug right into the mixer as a back up).
Haven't tried it yet, but I can imagine it sounding horrible (as the V-amp is pretty bad).
Curious if anyone has tried yet? My mixer is never convenient to plug into while at home, so I haven't had a chance to try....

Ooh I just got an x32 rack (so exciting!) so maybe I'll try it. I'm currently running my vocals as an insert to the Axe for switchable reverb and tap delay :)

I have been thinking about the OP's question and it's not specific as too the type of back up rig, ie direct or amp and cab required. I still like the TEC 21 offering but you need something to hear it with (amp and a cab). That said if you add their Power engine 112 or maybe the Electro Harmonix Magnum 44 power amp pedal and a 112 cab it would round out that rig nicely. The problem with that is it starts to make things not so cheep when you start adding that up may as well do a line 6 spider valve or the many other offerings in that same category.

For the direct route I think it would have to go the Line 6 HD for a plug in drop and go type of deal. Even though it's not on par even with a 1st gen Axe it's a lot more convenient as a back up rig that's fairly inexpensive.

Since the tech 21 has cab sims in it you should be able to run direct to an FrFR cab right? Like my RCF cab?

Back
Top Bottom