AFIII Chasing Periphery’s Tone...

I like it! Do you find you have to cut up parts in your DAW to get the mechanical sounding silences or is it all handled with gate?

Which album are you chasing? I know P1 was FAS Modern. P2 was the 5150 with the 5150 III power section, P3 was the HBE with the USA DJENT Misha Mix 08, and P4 was a mixing of two ML Sound Lab IRs.

I like it! Do you find you have to cut up parts in your DAW to get the mechanical sounding silences or is it all handled with gate?

I usually don’t carve out recordings in the DAW unless I want a precise halt on particular transition or something...when I tried that before it just sounds unnatural (at least for my skill level of editing). As for my gate settings I’m not overly aggressive with it, set to downward expand I usually keep the ratio around 2.0 with 5-ms attack and 100ms/100ms Hold & Release. Seems to work well for my playing habits.

Really appreciate the response...that’s good info. I literally just got Misha’s cab pack like 2 days ago, but didn’t have any info on what amps he used, especially broken down for each album like you did. I guess the album tone I was most after was Alpha/Omega...the first PRS I ever bought was the Holcomb SE with the Alpha/Omega pups and I absolutely loved those pups, so then I got a PRS SE Baritone 27.7” and had another set of those pups installed, which is what I used in this mix.

Yea brother I honestly spent more time dialing in the bass tone than the guitar so I'm glad you like it LOL I obsessed over gettin the bass tone just right (for me at least) ... I used the EZBass modern with "Deep & Bright" pick style. Settings within EZB were to taste...taking that signal from EZB and running it into Studio One with an IR my buddy made of an old Ampeg SVT 8x10 cab that he's had forever...I mean it just sounds great lol

Back
Top Bottom