Charvel Pro Mod dk-24 tuning issues

I'm having this same problem. Even a half step bend knocks the strings flat. In my case, i found out that the posts on the locking tuners are slack. I can wiggle them with my fingers when the strings are off. The tuners themselves are tightly installed. On you guys' DKs are they not slack at all? I'm trying to figure out if it is possible to fix this but disassembly guide of those tuners is impossible to find.

I'm having this same problem. Even a half step bend knocks the strings flat. In my case, i found out that the posts on the locking tuners are slack. I can wiggle them with my fingers when the strings are off. The tuners themselves are tightly installed. On you guys' DKs are they not slack at all? I'm trying to figure out if it is possible to fix this but disassembly guide of those tuners is impossible to find.
On most guitars, the tuner shafts have some play in them. If you take off the strings and shake the headstock, you'll hear all six of them rattling around.

String tension is enough to keep them in place then, right. Well, that's good to hear! Thought I would have to replace them.
Maybe my issues are from worn knife edges on the 510... Running my finger along them I can definitely feel some irregularities, it is not totally smooth. I'm thinking of filing it a bit like this guy does in this video .

Are your trem studs locked?

Have you tried bypassing the string tree?

Have you lubed the nut slots, the knife edges, the string trees?

Staggered tuners and removing string trees got the most benefit and the locking saddles helped, too.

The studs were in fact not locked, but I locked them when I found your post. The tuning problem persists though.

Bypassing the string trees doesn't help at all.

Haven't tried lubing yet, I've ordered some. I will try this before I do anything more drastic.

The studs were in fact not locked, but I locked them when I found your post. The tuning problem persists though.

Bypassing the string trees doesn't help at all.

Haven't tried lubing yet, I've ordered some. I will try this before I do anything more drastic.
Hopefully that solves it. If not, may need to get the nut slots filed.

Two things I’ve found that help with non-locking bridges - Fender Super Bullets and heavy springs. The strings don’t have a typical ball end - those can often reseat slightly off from where it was in tune if you push bar down enough. The super bullets have a uniform shape so they reseat more consistently. I like the coated heavy springs - no spring noise and the bridge comes back more consistently.

So I changed the strings to 009, lubed every contact point (nut, string trees, saddles, the base plate where the strings touch when entering the trem block and also the knife edges). It is definitely a lot better, bypassing string trees is the best, but not perfect. 2 semitones bends hold tune, but going above this the string will go flat. At this point I think only locking saddles would improve it further. I'm used to double locking trems, so maybe I'll invest in those at some point.

Last edited:
So I changed the strings to 009, lubed every contact point (nut, string trees, saddles, the base plate where the strings touch when entering the trem block and also the knife edges). It is definitely a lot better, bypassing string trees is the best, but not perfect. 2 semitones bends hold tune, but going above this the string will go flat. At this point I think only locking saddles would improve it further. I'm used to double locking trems, so maybe I'll invest in those at some point.
Sounds like the same journey ;)

Back
Top Bottom