Charvel Guthrie Govan vs DK-24

I just sent back one of them there Charvel Teles. Maybe it is me but I was
SO underwhelmed. It was black with the hardtail and the Fishman Fluence
pickups. Had major fret sprout and just didn't feel as well put together as
other Charvels I have played, and the DK-24 HSH I still own.
I just had a chance to try one today and was hoping to like it based on the features/price point. I'm sure it had a lot to do with the setup but when its in a store and you have limited time to bond with a guitar its a shame when the action is way high and no matter what i did would not stay in tune. There's quite a sharp angle off the nut to the string tee's I noticed as well. Maybe it was a one-off. If I see another I'll give it a go again to compare.

QC can also be incomplete with Custom Shops.

My Schecter Nick Johnston Custom Shop USA came with the Tone Pot ungrounded. No problem while touching the strings or the volume pot, but it was noisy when lifting both hands from the strings, and a hell of a noise when touching the tone pot knob without touching the strings.

I had to solder a wire between the vol pot and the tone pot.

That was the first batch of the NJ model (they came with Seymour Duncan Antiquity Texas Hot, not with Schecter pickups). Perhaps the builder thought that the aluminum foil would do the job, but that is not the case.
View attachment 83007
It's actually quite rare for manufacturers to solder the pots together if they are mounted on foil.

Fret sprout and a bad set up shouldn't stop you buying a guitar. These are nothing issues, The main things I would reject one for are over beveled fret ends narrowing the fret playing area and that includes too much wood chamfered off with the fret ends . The Other hidden biggie is when the relief is bottoming out in the wrong place. Just send these straight back.
I would expect guitars at this price to lack a fine tune in finish and set up . Potential and a lack of fundamental issues is where it's at with an under $2k guitar.

Fret sprout and a bad set up shouldn't stop you buying a guitar. These are nothing issues, The main things I would reject one for are over beveled fret ends narrowing the fret playing area and that includes too much wood chamfered off with the fret ends . The Other hidden biggie is when the relief is bottoming out in the wrong place. Just send these straight back.
I would expect guitars at this price to lack a fine tune in finish and set up . Potential and a lack of fundamental issues is where it's at with an under $2k guitar.
Thing is, if I spend $2k on a guitar, I don't have a lot of leftover cash for fix-ups, so a lot of needed work I can't do myself, even stuff that in principle is minor, is an actual negative for me.

The DK24 blew me away. The features for that price point is very attractive. I'm sure they sell a ton. They definitely caught my eye.

The neck is beautiful, super flat and thin (especially compared to the PRS Silver Sky). The build quality is excellent. No issues.

The setup was a bit weird. They had the posts driven straight down to the body and the bridge plate was below the plane of the body.

I just had to raise the posts and reseat the bridge in the initial setup after buying.

I was looking for GG's signature model, or something like it, when I got pointed towards the DK24. Love that natural wood look.

Watching GG play is ALWAYS inspiring.

It's actually quite rare for manufacturers to solder the pots together if they are mounted on foil.

That is a mistake, because the conductivity is weak. I measured about 10 Ohms from the ground point to the tone pot, that is enough to create a hell of a noise

That is a mistake, because the conductivity is weak. I measured about 10 Ohms from the ground point to the tone pot, that is enough to create a hell of a noise
I don't disagree but it's not often soldered. On old Jazz Basses they relied in the plate to earth the jack. Only the hot connected.

Thing is, if I spend $2k on a guitar, I don't have a lot of leftover cash for fix-ups, so a lot of needed work I can't do myself, even stuff that in principle is minor, is an actual negative for me.
You wouldn't have to pay, The shop would either discount it for you to get the work done or do it for you. I mean people often pass fundamentally better instruments for ones with REAL issues for the sake of a half hour repair bill that they probably won't even pay. The amount of hands on time at this price is so low that this stuff gets through . These Charvels are fantastic value and more often than not I can make one feel as good as a GG model or better.

This thread really has me wanting a Charvel. Though I have never owned one I feel they have always been my spirit animal-guitar. Perhaps one of these DK24's.

I really liked even my MIM Charvel DK24. Very good guitar for the money. I sold it eventually to get a similar guitar with SS frets and pickguard (my new Schecter Exotic). Here how the Charvel looked after I put some vinyl on it before I sold it:

1625783876396.png

I just had a chance to try one today and was hoping to like it based on the features/price point. I'm sure it had a lot to do with the setup but when its in a store and you have limited time to bond with a guitar its a shame when the action is way high and no matter what i did would not stay in tune. There's quite a sharp angle off the nut to the string tee's I noticed as well. Maybe it was a one-off. If I see another I'll give it a go again to compare.

That's too bad. I found the quality definitely not on par with the DK-24 HSH I purchased in mid 2020.
That guitar still has me kind of wanting another Charvel.

I didn't get a chance to play the Tele style I ended up sending back before purchasing it. If I had I would
never have purchased it in the first place.

Another Charvel has come across my radar. the Vivaldi DK24-6. Does anyone have any experience/thoughts on this model. I believe its about $1599 US and looks like its made in Korea...

Rick Graham will have a signature DK24, with Bareknuckle pups and MIJ, around 2000 € here in Europe. Like some AZ signatures, just minor really “custom specs” which does not mean they aren’t great.

Thanks for your experiences.

H being louder than S or any HS combo is kind of unavoidable, since the H coils are in series, S is single (duh), and HS is two singles in parallel, emulating those positions of an SSS. It's part of what's kept me from getting an HSS guitar.

How is position 3 wired on the GG? Do I gather it's not just the middle PU by itself?
Do you know about the switching on the GG? IS the middle postion supposed to have a complete roll off of tone? I just got one of these and with the mini toggle down and in the middle postion I get tele spank, but the the toggle up I get just tone roll off sound. Is that normal?

Do you know about the switching on the GG? IS the middle postion supposed to have a complete roll off of tone? I just got one of these and with the mini toggle down and in the middle postion I get tele spank, but the the toggle up I get just tone roll off sound. Is that normal?
I’ll check when I get home but no I don’t think that is the case. I think I get the tele spank in both toggle positions.

Back
Top Bottom