Charvel Guthrie Govan vs DK-24

I have both the shell pink MIM DK24 and the flame GG gen 1 (no switch). The DK24 is indeed an unbelievable guitar for the price, but it’s nowhere near the Guthrie. It is quite honestly the best guitar to play that I’ve ever tried. Really, it makes me play better (or, I play better on that guitar than any other). I got the DK24 after the GG because I was hoping it would be close enough in feel and not too poor quality to be an HSS version, which it kinda is.

As for comments about how easily the GG scratches, yes! It is really soft. I took it to rehearsal one time and it came back with the worst belt buckle rash and a couple of parallel dings where the bass player knocked one of those feather light sheet music stands into it :rolleyes:
What do you think about the GG's tones? Does it do mid-gain well?

Certainly does. It must be said though, there is a significant level difference between the humbuckers and positions 2,3 and 4. I love that position 3 is like a Telecaster in middle position.
Thanks for your experiences.

H being louder than S or any HS combo is kind of unavoidable, since the H coils are in series, S is single (duh), and HS is two singles in parallel, emulating those positions of an SSS. It's part of what's kept me from getting an HSS guitar.

How is position 3 wired on the GG? Do I gather it's not just the middle PU by itself?

Thanks for your experiences.

H being louder than S or any HS combo is kind of unavoidable, since the H coils are in series, S is single (duh), and HS is two singles in parallel, emulating those positions of an SSS. It's part of what's kept me from getting an HSS guitar.

How is position 3 wired on the GG? Do I gather it's not just the middle PU by itself?
Yes, position 3 is the outer coils of the neck and bridge pickups wired in parallel. There’s no position for the middle pickup by itself, so that’s a drawback, if that’s your thing. The DK24 is the same, though the neck pickup is obviously single coil.

I mentioned the volume difference between the humbuckers and positions 2, 3 and 4 because for me, I was used to Ibanez Jem/RG type configurations, where the volume difference didn’t seem so big, or maybe I just wasn’t seriously using the guitar for lower gain sounds, the way I would a strat or tele. The GG can be legitimately used for low gain and definitely has those tones that we all know from the in between positions on a strat or the middle position on a tele. It just surprised me, when switching to the neck, for example, that the jump was so huge.

I'd love to try out a GG, sounds like I'd love it. OTOH I can't really afford one anyway, so f me ;)
For me, the GG could be my only guitar, if it wasn’t for the lack of a single coil in the neck. I much prefer a single coil there to a humbucker. However, for that Les Paul neck thing, the GG has it covered no sweat.

I'd love to try out a GG, sounds like I'd love it. OTOH I can't really afford one anyway, so f me ;)
For me, the GG could be my only guitar, if it wasn’t for the lack of a single coil in the neck. I much prefer a single coil there to a humbucker. However, for that Les Paul neck thing, the GG has it covered no sweat.
I'm annoyed by hum and buzz, so I gravitate towards humbuckers, plus I really like the NM and BM strat thing, so HSH is perfect for me.

Guys, how does the Suhr Rasmus Guthrie Govan stack up against the higher-end versions?
It's a lot more affordable, duh.

Still one of my most-used axes...I actually like it more than my similarly appointed Modern Satin.....good luck trying to find one..they are definite keepers.
Hell yeah! Love my GG Rasmus. I'm honestly surprised so many people overlooked the Rasmus line when it was around.

Attachments

• IMG_1702.jpg
    IMG_1702.jpg
    552.1 KB · Views: 22
I have a Rasmus Modern. It’s a great guitar. I did swap pickups though.
The one I have my eye on has some flavor of Duncans, and looks like a scalloped fretboard. Were those ever stock features, or is this "user modified"? Not that that's necessarily bad, but seems it needs some scrutiny...

Attachments

• C2782828-B308-45D4-B744-6941BEB83815.jpeg
    C2782828-B308-45D4-B744-6941BEB83815.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 44
  • F448944D-FAD5-46B0-854C-0496EB535005.jpeg
    F448944D-FAD5-46B0-854C-0496EB535005.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 49
  • 6438A831-B1E8-438B-B32D-760476EF209A.jpeg
    6438A831-B1E8-438B-B32D-760476EF209A.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 50
  • 0A9CA7BB-F38E-427B-A113-6B464A706E72.jpeg
    0A9CA7BB-F38E-427B-A113-6B464A706E72.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Badass. Wow, never noticed the input jack placement on these, looks awesome. Congrats!
Thanks!

Yeah, the input jack setup is just a cleverly positioned Strat input jack... But it's a simple genius kind of thing :)

I really like that location.

Back
Top Bottom