[Chart] FM3 Block CPU Usage Estimates

What about the amp models themselves?
sorry, i'm not going through 250+ models to see differences. i believe Class-A amps can use a bit more CPU. but the Amp has its own dedicated CPU, so it barely affects things.

the list i made takes 40-60 minutes to go through carefully. 250 more data points would add another hour, maybe more. if anyone wants to contribute to this, let me know.

i think the list provided is comprehensive.

No, I totally understand that. I was just wondering in general how much CPU the amps use. 20%, 30% or more?
Adding the amp block increases the CPU meter by about 1.6%.

But the amp block has a dedicated CPU in addition to the meter we see. I think it’s safe to say that the Amp potentially uses the entire CPU, or at least all that it can if other system functions are on that 2nd CPU.

Regardless, it may not matter since we can’t affect that dedicated CPU anyway.

Oh I see. So the CPU meter doesn't even consider the amp model? If so, that's great. That means we can dedicate the full 80% to effects, etc. ??

For my various signal chains the CPU limits look manageable. Plus this is largely for recording in my case, where there are endless solutions if I needed more than the FM3 can handle.

Oh I see. So the CPU meter doesn't even consider the amp model? If so, that's great. That means we can dedicate the full 80% to effects, etc. ??

You cannot dedicate CPU at your discretion , completely managed by the Unit, all Fractal products. Its a great thing.

BTW - FANTASTIC info here! Thanks for doing this Chris!! Now I just need the actual FM3 to apply this knowledge to, he he... :p

Non-essential blocks sorted by CPU usage.
Numbers will be updated as needed with data from @chris
Mar 08-20

8FTpI86.jpg

Last edited:
@chris
I hope you don't mind me playing around with your data. Here's everything except the essentials
sorted by CPU usage. I have this in PDF and XLS format if anyone wants it.

8FTpI86.jpg
That’s cool. Remember these can change with firmware updates, but it should remain relatively the same unless a major change is introduced.

So, from what I've read (and my experience from the AX8), I can assume that the normalization of the CPU load on the FM3 is at 80%? (Meaning anything above 80% may shut down blocks or audio processing?)

Dumb question. How much CPU does the amp block eat up? I have 2 scenarios:

I am doing a 6CM (all said and done) with the GTCore and the FM.

1. At the very least; I am going to use an Input block, amp block, couple of shunts and an output block. Nothing else from the FM.
2. At the most; I am going to use and Input block, amp block, couple of shunts, a reverb and mayyyybe Delay of some sort, and another In and Out on the FM with delay and or verb contained within that chain.

The AMP block gets its own core, always. The delays use that core as well.
Thanks. So I should be relatively good, even at higher quality settings on the reverb; if I am using only those blocks (amp, delay and reverb)? Modulation and bread and butter stuff will be coming from the Core atm.

Dumb question. How much CPU does the amp block eat up? I have 2 scenarios:

I am doing a 6CM (all said and done) with the GTCore and the FM.

1. At the very least; I am going to use an Input block, amp block, couple of shunts and an output block. Nothing else from the FM.
2. At the most; I am going to use and Input block, amp block, couple of shunts, a reverb and mayyyybe Delay of some sort, and another In and Out on the FM with delay and or verb contained within that chain.
Hey JT -- I just set up a preset with your #2 scenario including delay (no cab block correct?) and I'm seeing 44% on the CPU. There's a lot more room to play with.

Hey JT -- I just set up a preset with your #2 scenario including delay (no cab block correct?) and I'm seeing 44% on the CPU. There's a lot more room to play with.
Very nice! Thanks for checking! No FM cab block. Using the Boss cab block, drives and modulations. Boss amp block with Fractal pre and post fx as the mood strikes. I'm thinking this is going to be a super capable rig.

Reactions: Den
I think it's going to give you amazing flexibility JT. I know you've been torn between the two .... can't imagine you won't have a blast with this rig.

Non-essential blocks sorted by CPU usage.
Numbers will be updated as needed with data from @chris
Mar 08-20

8FTpI86.jpg
@chris Is this still accurate and dependable or have things improved/changed in the last year and change? I also noticed that shunts weren't listed, yet I know they use up a little DSP, which is why I always try to condense my presets as much as possible. Just curious.

Thanks for this!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom