[Chart] FM3 Block CPU Usage Estimates

Thanks Chris!

PS: a couple question for @FractalAudio or @Admin M@ .
The cpu load for the delay blocks is surprisingly low, I guess they run on the second core or on an accelerator?
The drive block is lower than I expected too (basically the same percentages I get on the axe fx III), is it running on a different core/accelerator or is it just less oversampled?

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this! I am new to amp modeling, I just sold my tube amp and I'm waiting for my name to get called on for the FM3.

I have a question though, the Fractal Wiki states "On the FM3, amp modeling and reverb run on the same processor."
What does that mean? I'm assuming reverbs still take up 25-35% of the available CPU power. What is the benefit of it running on the same CPU?

Does the cpu usage report the maximum from the selected blocks across the four channels? Ie the highest drive pedal from channel A/B/C/D, or just the currently selected one?

The base cpu @11 %
Is this used at all times as default by the System?
So we lose 11% straight off the Bat?

Does the cpu usage report the maximum from the selected blocks across the four channels? Ie the highest drive pedal from channel A/B/C/D, or just the currently selected one?
Always whatever is actually loaded.
The base cpu @11 %
Yes. A blank layout uses 11% and the approximate usable limit is 80%. These numbers on their own don’t really mean much. Actually using and adding blocks on the unit brings it all together.

The FM3 just launched. We will probably see improvements to all of this over time. Majority of blocks have had decreased CPU usage during testing so it can probably get even better from here.

Wondering the same thing about the reverbs. If they're on the same core as the amps, then I'd think they wouldn't really show any usage, maybe a couple of points for having the block on the grid, but not 25%+. Does the meter show the combined total of both cores? Did the reverb get moved to the core that has the fx on it? Or ... ??

The amp block seems really low. I'm assuming that's because it's "offloading" the processing to its own CPU? I wonder what % of the other CPU it is actually using?

The base cpu @11 %
Only 11% ?.

Take a look at how much hard drive space, memory and CPU Windows 10 uses. LOLOLOLOLOL @ 11% Thats a fart in a hurricane.

Only 11% ?.

Take a look at how much hard drive space, memory and CPU Windows 10 uses. LOLOLOLOLOL @ 11% Thats a fart in a hurricane.

And don’t forget that the FM3 is still on it’s first public firmware version. I’m sure future releases will be more streamlined yielding better performance and optimization.

If not for the horrible coding, premature releases, security flaws, etc found in Windows, I would have never have had a 25 year career in IT.
Perhaps unable to buy stuff from FAS, Roland, Fender, Peavey, Soundcraft, etc over that time as I would have had to settle for a lower paying job.

I would have never have had a 25 year career in IT.

Funny, I have worst memories of this than of my childhood dentist!
IEjRswx.jpg

Back
Top Bottom